Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a timber shelf in laundry?

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

How to add a timber shelf in laundry?

Hello all.  I would like to install a shelf above the washing machine and around a drop in laundry tub.  Is wood ok for this? Will i need to finish it so that it can cope with water splashes?  And finally I was told that there is a minimum amount of a space needed between the wall and the tub for stone shelves, is that the same for wood?  Many thanks Elle

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to add a timber shelf in laundry?

Hello Elle (@Elle44),

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're simply delighted to have you join us, and hope you find the site a great resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas.

Thanks for your question on adding a shelf in your laundry. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist once he's back online later today. In the meantime, you might want to check out these Pine shelves for European laundry shared by Nicholas (@DoSimpleBetter) in case it helps.

Also tagging Jess (@prettyliving) to see if she has any thoughts on your question. Her project Budget Bunnings laundry renovation is among the most popular on the site and includes the installation of a shelving unit. 

Keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wood shelf in laundry

Hello @Elle44 

Putting up a lightweight shelf is fairly straight forward. You can either make it out of timber or purchase a shelf like Flexi Storage Decorative Shelving 600 x 38 x 240mm Oak Floating Shelf. These can be mounted on plaster board or the timber stud behind the plasterboard wall.

In regards to the position of the shelf, it depends where it will be located. If it is above the sink, I suggest installing it at 800mm high from the benchtop. This is to prevent you from hitting your head when you are working at the laundry tub. However, if it is just over the benchtop, you can have it as low as 600mm. The shelves are often only 300mm deep, again this is to prevent you from hitting your head on them.

I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of the position of the shelf. Once you've decided on the type of shelf you want to go with, we can then explore the options for mounting. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Re: Wood shelf in laundry

Hi Eric, thank you for this.  The illustration is great — it was actually that lower shelf, the one over the WM with the sink in it that I was planning for.  That was why I wondered about water damage.  I take it from this illustration that wood is OK for this job, in which case do I need to treat the wood with anything special?  I’ve had a look at the various kinds of timber Bunnings has and I assume that I can get it cut to size (its a painfully small laundry!). So wanted to be sure that it was the right thing for what I wanted to do.

cheers, Elle 

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Akanksha.  Eric has gotten back and thanks for tagging others about this. I appreciate it!

cheers Ellle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Elle44 

If your using wood, I would definitely paint it to protect the timber from moisture and the occasional splash of water. It does not need to be special paint, if you have any leftover paint that is not too old, even that will be enough to protect the raw timber. I propose looking at the pine panels near the trade area.

I suggest using angle brackets in combination with Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor to hold the brackets in place. Just remember to get some screws for the shelf that you've chosen, the size of the screw will depend on the thickness of the shelf you choose.

The team at the timber yard should be able to cut the timber for you. Please double check your measurements before asking them to cut the timber you've chosen.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when you are working on your shelf.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects