Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach moulded basin top?

Alby1234
Just Starting Out

How to attach moulded basin top?

Hi there, just wondering if there were instructions on how to attach molded basin top to Estilo 900mm Bathroom Vanity With 1 Tap Hole. I have secured vanity and most of the plumbing is done. The basin top seems quite loose when sitting on the vanity and just wondering if I have missed something somewhere in securing it to base cabinet? Thanks, Alby

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to attach molded basin top

Hello @Alby1234

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the Estilo basin.

It's great to hear that you've got yourself a new vanity. The standard Estilo vanity top is fixed to the cabinet with Silicone. If you've not yet attached the plumbing fixtures to the vanity, I suggest fixing the top with silicone first. However, if you have fixed the plumbing in, I'm afraid you'll have to take them off in order to secure the vanity top to the cabinet. Make sure to observe the full drying time recommended on the tube. Once the silicone has fully cured, you can then install the plumbing fixtures. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Alby1234
Just Starting Out

So I tried using the silicon to stick it down but there doesn't seem to be enough contact between the cabinet and the basin to allow it to actually stick. The underneath of the basin doesn't have just a flat bottom, just a cross hashing of plastic which seems to be not enough area.

Alby

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Alby1234

Thanks for the quick reply, I see you've already tested silicone and it did not give you a solid grip. You may have to use a combination of silicone and Gorilla 1.5m Black Mounting Tape. Place the mounting tape on the edge of the vanity cabinet. You'll have to find another part of the vanity top to mount and secure. For example, can you silicone the back of the vanity top to the back wall? Perhaps you can silicone the vanity top to the right or left side of the bathroom wall?

As much as I would like to recommend an adhesive that is stronger, it will be difficult to predict how it will react to the vanity top. So best to stay with silicone.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear@tom_builds and @JoeAzza for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Alby1234 

You should put some sealing tape between the basin and the top, such as

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-assorted-size-sink-sealing-tape-4-pack_p4920416

That will allow the basin to seat firmly against cabinet top.

Then seal the outside join with silicone to prevent water seeping under.

Unfortunately you will need to lift the basin out to put the tape in under it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects