Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change shower taps to shower mixers?

NormaMary
Finding My Feet

How to change shower taps to shower mixers?

How to change shower taps to mixers

20210714_234356.jpg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to change shower taps to shower mixers?

NormaMary

Not really a diy job. It requires cutting and changing of pipes in wall behind existing taps. Really a plumber job and then you need to retile the area they had to remove to get to the pipes.

JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NormaMary

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about your shower taps.

It's great that you've received advice from @JDE. If you are wanting to replace the existing shower set, the tiles will have to be removed and the services of a registered plumber will be required to install a shower mixer.

However, I also recommend an external set like the Quoss Reno Transformer Freestyle Shower Mixer. The Reno Transformer Freestyle Shower Mixer product transforms your old 2 taps into an exposed single flick mixer system. Installation is an easy retrofit with no extra work such as breaking the tiles, drilling holes in the wall, plumbing, or piping.

Here is a link on how it is installed:

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Ericl I wish I had known about these before I worked on my daughter's shower. Do they have one that allows you to use existing shower rose or do you have to fit a new shower rose system? JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JDE

I'm glad that information helped. The Quoss Reno Transformer is actually very handy and is a more affordable alternative to a shower mixer renovation. Yes, you can use your existing shower rose and hose if it is the exposed system on a rail. It has a standard shower hose fitting at the bottom of the mixer itself. However, the one behind the wall will have to be closed off at the top. This is a great alternative when trying to modernize an existing fitting in the shower.

If you need more information about the shower mixer, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

That's brilliant! I have never heard of or seen that system before.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TedBear

It has been in production for a while now, but I'm not sure when it entered the Bunnings system. It's a handy replacement set and a great alternative to doing a major renovation.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

This is even more clever than it originally looked @EricL  .... I downloaded their brochure and there is a rail system that screws onto the old shower-head outlet, thus sealing it off while also providing the vertical rail to hold the new head, without requiring any drilling into tiles.

I can see in @NormaMary 's situation they can just swing the existing shower hose over to the mixer outlet and buy a chrome cap to seal up the outlet at the bottom of the existing vertical rail.

(I almost wish I needed one, but it seems to be an excellent answer for those who do.)

Kys
Growing in Experience

That is an awesome product, when we moved in to our new house we installed half turn taps on all basins and the showers as two of our children have tremors and have older relatives visit, but I might have to look at this for the shower. Our children have autism and find it hard to get the right temperature.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kys

Thank you for joining the discussion. It's good to know that this product has given you ideas for your own shower upgrade. As I mentioned the Quoss Reno Transformer is a great alternative when looking to upgrade your current hot and cold shower spindles. If you ever decide to proceed with changing your spindles, please keep us updated. I'm sure our members would love to see the unit once installed. 

If you need assistance in ordering this item from the store, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to give you a hand.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects