Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect heat pump dryer to p trap barb?

humblediy
Finding My Feet

How to connect heat pump dryer to p trap barb?

Hello

I'm trying to connect my heat-pump dryer to the p-trap barb (the p trap pipe has been installed by the house builder and I never use it):

I noticed there is no hole on the barb, should I use a "trap drill" to make the hole OR any drill size just fine

Thanks

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Trap Drill to create a drill to the p trap barb

Morning @humblediy 

I admit to seeing a lot of threads on this site talking about accessing this port for plumbing - but I never knew there was a special drill involved.

Live and learn.

So I Googled "Trap Drill" (drew a blank with Bunnings) and found a few plumbing sites selling them, but only one brave enough to publish a price...

Clipboard02.jpg

For that price @humblediy  - I would humbly suggest the humble drill - just don't put too much pressure onto it.

But I guess if you did this for a living - the value would be there.

Playing under my sink - a 10mm bit seems to fit nicely - with room to spare.

See what others think.

Cheers.

20230730_094940.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @humblediy. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about drilling out a trap spigot.

It's wonderful to see that the knowledgeable @Noyade has already sorted your question. Any drill is fine, and 10mm sounds about spot on. Just check the internal diameter of your spigot, as I've found they can differ slightly between brands.

Remember that you need a clamp to hold the pipe on.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Brilliant, thanks for the suggestion, yea, I found the price rather steep, especially for using it once only.

Thanks mate!

Thanks mate! Appreciate your suggestion in using the clamp!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects