Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect washing machine to an old tap?

tecurnow
Just Starting Out

How to connect washing machine to an old tap?

Hi all, we just moved into a new rental and are attempting to connect our washing machine to an old tap in the laundry. I have attached pictures below of what the tap looks like as well as the washing machine attachment and are unsure what is required to connect the two, is there an adaptor we are able to purchase or would it be best to look at replacing the tap?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

IMG_9507.jpgIMG_9508.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Connecting washing machine to an old tap

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tecurnow. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a washing machine.

You've got me on that one! I wouldn't consider that a typical water connection. The tapered end on it looks like it's to suit some type of compression fitting. How old is this house? My first thought is that it suspiciously looks like a tap and fitting that's for an old diesel fuel powered heater. I suspect this tap is designed for something besides a washing machine. Odd question, but does water come out of it?

I can't think of a way to easily convert that fitting to suit your hose. If we knew the exact thread size, our knowledgeable members might be able to find a solution. However, it could be easiest to swap the taps over to something with a more conventional fitting. This is not just a standard threaded nipple as it has the tapered end on it. This tapered end might interfere with a conversion fitting you try to install.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Connecting washing machine to an old tap

Good afternoon Tecurnow.

Any chance of another photo of the entire tap?

What did the previous tenants do - washing wise?

Cheers.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to connect washing machine to an old tap?

Hi @tecurnow,

Personally if it were me, I'd be talking to the property owner, there is no way that that is going to work.

From what I can tell, that threaded nipple is only 3/8" in diameter and is seriously going to restrict the amount of water available to your washing machine.

You need the proper hot and cold water valves with threaded couplings to take 15mm hoses that come with all washing machines.

Something like this: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/terminator-washing-machine-tap_p0028179  is what I'm talking about for each of the hot and cold feed lines.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tecurnow

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc and @MikeTNZ. Just to add more suggestions to the list, Have you looked under the laundry tub to see if there were dedicated plumbing taps for the washing machine? If not, I'm afraid you'll need to speak to the Property Manager to find out where the laundry taps are.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Pretty decent advice, @EricL,

Either way, a plumber is going to be needed to sort this out.

You need to have a controlled source of water (ie valves) for each feed to the washing machine.

It doesn't look like this is the case here.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects