Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking toilet PVC pipe?

workman
Growing in Experience

How to fix leaking toilet PVC pipe?

hi i have drip leak from my toilet pvc pipe to the wall

can put sealent or putty over it

see images

leak.jpgpipe.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how fix toilet leak

Hello @workman 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing a toilet leak.

There are two parts that have possibly failed in the plumbing. One is called the Holman 100mm DWV Rubber Pan Collar and the second part is called the collar pan locking ring. The locking ring is part of the Holman 100mm DWV PVC Standard Pan Collar that holds the rubber in place.

To repair the leak its best to replace the rubber seal, but if you are after a temporary fix, I suggest using Selleys 310g Translucent Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant. If you apply this silicone sealant it's best to let it cure first before you attempt to use the toilet again. Please keep in mind that this is a temporary seal and there is no telling how long it will last.

I also recommend having a look at this discussion - Can a vario pan collar seal be replaced with a standard Holman pan collar seal. This discussion will give you a very good idea of how the pan collar is repaired.

However, if the repair becomes too difficult, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
workman
Growing in Experience

cheers but  i think this is a wax seal

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @workman 

Unfortunately, the only wax seal that the store has is the Fluidmaster Universal Wax Pan Seal and it does not look the same as the one on your photo. I suggest double checking before purchasing any spare parts.

Eric

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: How to fix leaking toilet PVC pipe?

Hello @workman your toilet design looks similar to ours which developed an ever so slight drip leak, on disassembly it was found the rubber seal couldn't be removed with any finagling because the outlet pipe was too far inserted into the toilet pan (note the uneven gap around the seal), as I didn't want to either remove the pan itself OR replace the PVC outlet pipe I went with plan B

Thoroughly cleaned all porcelain & PVC surfaces completely removing all seal debris, rotated the seal 180° to place the most pristine section of the seal at the base of the joint and then proceeded to reinforce the seal and outer coupling cover with a bead of Monarch's finest silicone sealant (using thier mini caulking gun)... no leaks since.

Whilst you may have more success replacing the seal, if unable to source an appropriate wax seal a mini caulking gun & silicone would help you re-seal that coupling.

20231126_182558.jpg

workman
Growing in Experience

cheers yes i am going to use silicone it looks to hard for me to fix & plumbers don't want to do it

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @workman 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pan collar fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

workman
Growing in Experience

hi cheers for your advice on my photo it shows an orange colour

is that wax did you have to scrape that out

pipe.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @workman 

Let me tag @DIYGnome to make them aware of your question. If I recall they only mentioned that the porcelain and PVC pipes were thoroughly cleaned before the silicone was applied. There was no mention of the seal being removed. I only suggest that once the area is totally clean make sure that it is dry before you apply the silicone seal.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hello @workman, yes I completely disassembled the PVC coupling (mine had been previously sealed with silicone) as I had every intention of replacing the rubber seal, the outer PVC coupling ring is an interference fit and will require twisting/pulling force to release, picking away at that hardened wax seal will reduce effort required, it was only on disassembly I discovered the outlet pipe was too far recessed into the Porcelain outlet recess that I changed tact. 

If you can remove & replace the seal that would be best practice, negating that rotate the seal 180° so as to place the most pristine section of the seal at the base of the joint. 

The Porcelain & PVC joint will require all debris to be completely removed or the silicone will be compromised and likely leak again.

BTW it's worth emptying the cistern and shutting off the refill tap to avoid a potential accidental flush.   

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects