Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rotted door frame?

muna
Getting Established

How to fix rotted door frame?

what need to be done an who can do this handy man or plumber

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix rotted door frame?

Afternoon @muna 

Before repairing the door frame you will need to correct the water issue. If its an outside door then I would say the wrong type of material (MDF) has been used for the door framing.  It does look like water has been in and around the door for a period of time.

Once you have determined/fixed the issue then the door trim will need to be removed and replaced with the proper type of toimber and then painted to seal it.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @muna 

Thank you for sharing your question about fixing your damaged door frame. It's great that you've received spot on advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree that if there is flooding or water ingress occurring at the foot of the door frame it must be addressed first otherwise the frame will get damaged again.

A handy man should be able to fix this damaged frame for you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

MDF is certainly an interesting choice for a door frame. To me, it looks like beyond the tiled area we are exposed to the elements and it looks like white silicone has also been applied in the past (top photo).

A poor man's solution - I have a similar door that is exposed to the environment and experienced some wet rot that only extended about 8 inches up the frame.

I cut these sections out with a multi-tool. Then with a piece of surplus H3 treated pine put this though a table saw cutting various sized rebates to match the frame outline.

Basically it's a contoured block of wood positioned like a skin graft. You can make out the incision line...

20240327_074011.jpg

Just a early morning coffee thought.  🍵

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects