Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve an old-style fly screen vent?

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

How to improve an old-style fly screen vent?

You know those 7cm ×35cm mesh which serve as air vent and fly screen but couldnt prevent dust coming in ,bring in heat in summer and excessive chilled weather in winter. I have been trying to put filter material over it to prevent dust but would like to know how others managed it.

They come with older house and seems to be fixed.

Any idea what easy options do i have?

16500660099641578013166103320266.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to improve an old style fly screen vent in the rest room?

Hi @Onearmman,

Any chance we could get a slightly clearer image of the vent/flyscreen? One with the light on might be sufficient.

Would you be open to permanently sealing it and installing an exhaust fan to compensate? Filter material will certainly prevent dust from entering, but I'm unsure how successful it would be at preventing heat/cold transfer. I'd imagine not very effective. Perhaps we could even design some type of panel that's fitted over the filter mesh when extreme temperatures are present and removed when not.

I am looking forward to further images. Once we have them, I trust our knowledgeable members will have plenty of advice for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Hi, Here is another photo. Hope this is better.

window.jpg

Many thanks for the additional image @Onearmman. What were your thoughts on closing off this vent? It sounds like it's causing more drama than it's solving.

Personally, I'd recommend cutting some plywood slightly larger than the opening, painting it with exterior paint and then screwing it onto the exterior side of the frame to cover the gap. An exhaust fan would then be installed to provide ventilation.

Let me mention @TedBear, @Noyade and @JDE to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

Hi @Onearmman  I agree 100% with @MitchellMc 

Those old vents are barely effective anyway since there is no flow of air which is needed to remove smells or condensation.

I also recommend that you block it over as suggested, or get a glazier to replace the glass with a full length piece (the more expensive option). Then install the fan. 

(Another option could be to frame a piece of corflute instead of the plywood. It's cheap, easy to work with (scissors) and if sealed into the frame it will block air but will let light through.)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Onearmman

It's great that you've received excellent recommendations from @MitchellMc and @TedBear. Just to add to the suggestions made. I propose adding a bit of style to your corflute cover for your window. I suggest using a glue gun to stick parts of the corflute together. I've placed a diagram below to give you an idea of how you can add a sliding feature to your corflute cover. 

I suggest using the 5mm thick panel instead of the 3mm for extra rigidity. the entire assembly can be either stuck on with tape or you can use your glue gun to keep it in place. The sizes indicated are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Re: How to improve an old-style fly screen vent?

Hi all,
Thank you so much! I think i know what to do now with those ideas.
Have a great day.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects