Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to maximise space in ensuite bathroom renovation?

soso12
Finding My Feet

How to maximise space in ensuite bathroom renovation?

DC91E703-F40E-4EF3-A4FE-655E3EDFAA41.jpeg

0A8E00BD-82A8-4522-8267-A86F9DA0EA04.jpeg

hi, 

we just bought our house and are renovating the ensuite due to water damage. 

We need help with the design to make the best use of the space. We took away the wall between the ensuite and walk-in wardrobe to make it bigger. We’re constrained by the toilet location and the floor drain. 

I’ve attached what we thought so far. Is the walk in shower ok like that? We’re putting in a rain shower and hand held one. We thought two shower panels to prevent water going everywhere. Any ideas of how to make the best use of the space would be appreciated.

thank you :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ensuite bathroom renovation help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @soso12. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about bathroom design.

Have you had a read through @Adam_W's handy guide on How to plan a bathroom renovation? Also, check out our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for inspiration.

It would be worth considering how you could avoid the vanity being directly in front of the doorway and better utilisation of the large vacant area in one corner. It would be my advice to relocate the vanity into that corner. Visually, when first walking into the room, you are currently blocked by the vanity, having to navigate around it to reach the toilet. I'd propose a design like the one I've placed below. Ideally, I'd suggest having the vanity next to the toilet and the shower in the corner next to the door. However, as long as you get the vanity out from in front of the door I think either would work.

Let me mention one of our experienced members, @redbournreno , to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

Bath2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @soso12 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. Just to add to the suggestions made. Because you've added extra room to your bathroom area, you can actually add a bath if you want to. With a room depth of 3400mm you can have a walk-in shower at 900 x 1500 and a bath up to 1700mm in length. There will still be enough room between the bath and vanity as common appliance sizes usually fit in a two-meter space.

I've drawn up some sketches for you to have a look at. If you wish to see it in another configuration please let me know.

Eric

soso12 bathroom1.jpgsoso12 bathroom2.jpgsoso12 bathroom3.jpgsoso12 bathroom4.jpgsoso12 bathroom5.jpgsoso12 bathroom6.jpgsoso12 bathroom7.jpg

Thank you so much @MitchellMc for your help and links, they’ve really helped guide us. 

Thank you so much for your help @EricL I think we’ll be going with the second design. How big should the shower panels be to prevent water coming out and still have a good gap for shower entry? Also which wall do you suggest attaching the hand held shower? 

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @soso12

The shower panels that I placed in your design are the 2000mm x 875mm D'Lucci frameless shower panel. Please check with your local store if they carry this as regular stock otherwise it will have to be ordered in from the special orders desk. The entry gap I placed for your shower is 600mm you can make it bigger, but please keep in mind that it will affect the size of bath you can get.

I suggest placing the showerhead and shower controls on the window side. It would be the practical side to put it on as any accidental splashes will be kept well inside the shower enclosure. I also recommend using a DTA Australia 320 x 360 x 100mm CFlex Shower Wall Recess. No more rusty shower caddies with this in the wall. My only other suggestion would be to install Mondella 900mm Rococo Stainless Steel Rectangle Floor Grate for long term use. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you so much @EricL for all the details. This has helped a lot. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects