Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount dryer with no studs?

bect73
Cultivating a Following

How to mount dryer with no studs?

Hi can I please get some advice for mounting my dryer to hollow plasterboard wall in laundry please. There are no studs for me to anchor too. What are my options? Laundry is very small and only 1 wall that it can be mounted on. I’m in a rental property also.

martin1
Growing in Experience

Re: How to mount dryer with no studs?

For gyprock wall there will be timber or metal studs unless the gyprock is glued directly onto masonry. If these don't line up with where you want to position the dryer brackets, cut a piece of timber eg 90 x 35 pine that is long enough to span two or more studs or even room corner to corner. Fix the timber firmly with construction adhesive and screws into the studs at the height you want then fix the dryer mounting brackets to the timber. Don't attempt to use gyprock only fixings.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: hollow wall dryer mount

Hi @bect73,

Fantastic to see you back posting on Workshop after some time. It's also great to see that you've already received helpful advice from @martin1.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help when he's back on the site tomorrow. In the meantime, you may want to check out this discussion: Laundry reno - working around stud placement.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bect73,

It's great to see you've received some excellent advice from @martin1. As they've mentioned, the only suitable option is to bridge the gap between the studs with timber. You should find the studs spaced 450mm apart and potentially in the corners if it is a tiny room. If you haven't already tried one, I'd suggest investing in a stud finder. Alternatively, if there are no studs available for some unusual reason, please post an image of the room, and our helpful members might have some alternative suggestions.

Mitchell

Eduardo
Finding My Feet

Sorry I'm late, only just discovered this place.

Having been thinking about mounting a dryer for a while, I recently purchased a dryer stand from britec.com.au be prepared its a bit pricey but buy once cry once and you can take it with you when you move and no need to put holes in the walls.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Eduardo. It's fantastic to have you as a member of the Bunnings Workshop community.

Feel free to post anytime you have something to add to a discussion, need a hand or have a new project to share.

Welcome,

Jason

bect73
Cultivating a Following

What screws should I use to attach brace to the wall please? Batten screws or just timber screws? Do I use the same screws to attach brackets to the brace? My kit only came with expansion bolts and I understand they are for concrete/solid walls. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear from you again @bect73.

I don't believe we ever managed to ascertain whether you have timber studs behind the plaster. Is the brace you're referring to a piece of timber to bridge the gap between the timber studs? If so, you can use Zenith 14G x 65mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws. To secure the mounting brackets to the bridging timber, it might be best to pre-drill the timber at the locations for the brackets mounting holes. You can then insert bolts from the rear side to have protruding thread sticking out from the mounting timber. The bracket can then be secured to the mounting timber with nuts. I'll include an image below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

bect73
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell, I am purchasing a stud finder today, but yes you have nailed it 😊 I am using a piece of wood to bridge the gap between studs. I will upload some pics and that may help with my inquiry. The directions are for installing on a solid wall where expansion bolts are used and included. Bec

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bect73,

Does the dryer mount directly onto these expansion bolts, or do they fix a mounting bracket to a solid wall? Classically dryers use a Clothes Dryer Bracket Wall Mounting Kit or Universal Clothes Dryer Wall Mount Kit. These types of mounts would just be screwed directly into the bridging timber.

I look forward to seeing the expansion bolts and mounting bracket.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects