Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a tap spindle?

Sapphire
Finding My Feet

How to remove a tap spindle?

Need help to know how to get this old style tap apart to fix a leak. Which tool do I need to undo it?

PXL_20230820_025945587.jpg

PXL_20230820_025915796.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Old laundry tap leak

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sapphire. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap spindle.

Your first image appears to show the top of the brass spindle. Was the button cap screwed on? If it was, and you've now exposed the spindle, you'll need to pull the tap handle straight off the spindle. It's likely a bit stuck and might tap a few light taps with a hammer from behind to convince it to let go.

Have a read through this helpful guide: How to replace a tap washer

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

1692692177505871456323029658316.jpg

 This is not like other taps I have fixed! Which part unscrews?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good evening @Sapphire 

The square section - try a shifter or open ended spanner on it. Anticlockwise.

Cheers.

Make sure you have the mains water supply turned off prior. 😀

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sapphire 

You are so close to being able to remove the spindle and repair the leak. I suggest going with @Noyade's suggestion and using a Shifter. I've placed an image below with a yellow mark on where the shifter is supposed to sit in. Turn the shifter anti-clockwise to loosen the spindle.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Sapphire
Finding My Feet

Re: How to remove a tap spindle?

We have tried these suggestions and the square part does not move at all. The whole tap starts to rotate. If you hold the nut close to the wall with another spanner, there is no movement at all on the square part.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Frustrating isn't it.

• Give up - replace the entire tap.
  • A larger shifter or open ended spanner with someone to assist.
  • Rotate the tap a quarter turn to the right and try again - the turning force will now be acted towards yourself, without the tap moving.
  • Plumber - but more expensive than a new tap.
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sapphire 

I agree with @Noyade, if the tap is too difficult to disassemble it might be time to replace the entire tap. Another option is to remove the tap and place it in a table vice so that you can apply force when removing the spindle. 

I suggest having look at Shaw & Mason Chrome Plated 45° Female Bib Pillar Tap WELS 3 Star 9L/min. This is very similar to your laundry tap, but just to be sure, I recommend bringing your old tap to the store so that you can compare its size and length.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects