Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove basin top taps to replace washer?

pepsp
Having an Impact

How to remove basin top taps to replace washer?

These basin top taps are dripping and need a washer change however the assembly is so tight! Am I doing something wrong? Should the top come undone like on a wall tap?

If yes any hints on how to get them undone??

20230528_151709.jpg

Here's the tools I have available in my plumbing kit:

20230528_151949.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove basin top taps to replace washer?

Hi @pepsp,

They are standard spindles, just like wall taps and can be undone via the exposed nut. Often they can be so tight that you don't know whether you're about to do damage to the plumbing whilst trying to undo them. If you're adjustable spanners aren't doing the job, try the large red stilson, though they can be a little trickier to grab the nut with. The rubber strap wrench and tap spanner won't help you if it's stuck. Sometimes a swift tap with a tap on the end of the spanner is enough to break the spindle free. You can also try some WD40 to see if that assists. If you feel you are getting nowhere, it might be worth calling in a plumber.

Please note it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, consult your local building authority before starting.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: basin top taps - replace washer?

Afternoon @pepsp 

"Here's the tools I have available in my plumbing kit:"

As per @MitchellMc 

I'm also a big fan of the humble ring spanner - provided it's a perfect fit. For some of my spindles this means 13/16."

No burring.

Great turning power.

20230529_115740.jpg

pepsp
Having an Impact

Thanks for your responses everyone. In the end I gave up on trying to replace the washers. Instead I decided to replace the whole basin top assembly with ceramic disc taps. Obviously more expensive but shouldn't require the same type of maintenance so will save hassle in the long term. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @pepsp 

I'm kinda disappointed you couldn't remove the spindle yourself - but I'm glad it all worked out in the end. 👍

pepsp
Having an Impact

Yeah so am I @Noyade. I think it's poor design to have a unit with parts that need replacing that cannot be pulled apart. I imagine it's part of the reason people put up with dripping taps.

I tried opening up the new assembly before it was installed and got the spindle bonnet off with significant effort. I could see from that test I wasn't going to achieve the leverage needed to open up the old one while on the basin.

On the plus side, I did buy a basin wrench for my toolkit and learned something about basin taps in the process! I am also going to get a ring spanner from Dad for the kit so thanks for the tip on that one.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects