Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove old type wall tap assembly?

glenwu
Getting Established

How to remove old type wall tap assembly?

16606436355303608577434494268763.jpg

I want change to 1/4 turn assembly, but the old one is so hard to take off. I couldn't find any nut inside but just can't take off.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: how to take off old type wall tap assembly

Hi @glenwu welcome to Workshop.

From memory there is a thin nut that sits on the end of what you can see there but it seems to be already taken off.

From there it should just shimmy off with some effort of rocking it side to side whilst applying pulling action.

@EricL might have some other ideas as well.

Carl

glenwu
Getting Established

I try very hard and not workingπŸ˜‚, and now it is leaking from the assembly when I turn on. luckly it stop leaking when I turn off.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @glenwu

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your wall tap assembly.

Before I make any recommendations, can you please post a photo of the screw set you removed from the top of the handle and would it be possible for you to post a photo of the wall tap from the side? This will allow our members to assess the tap head assembly. We can then make recommendations on how to remove it without damaging the tap spindle.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

That type of top is notorious for seizing and being difficult due to the spindle shape not allowing you to turn the knob in order to break away any debris. Have you tried spraying into the tap knob with CRC or WD40? You'd need to leave it to soak in a few hours then try wriggling it off again.

glenwu
Getting Established

16606516900988089771546406610023.jpg

 just a simple one from top

16606518049979060069660747335004.jpg

 

16606518519137783830917604276294.jpg

 I got experence change a few by myself but totally no idea how to do with this. maybe use a grinder totally break itπŸ€”

glenwu
Getting Established

yes, I have  tried wd40 but still not working😞

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @glenwu just keep spraying with WD40 over the next few days let it soak in and do its job.

Carl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @glenwu 

Thank you for posting those photos of your wall tap assembly. I'm sorry to hear that the handle is still stuck, sometimes these types of handles get stuck due to calcium build-up inside the handle. I suggest spraying it with CLR Ready to Use 750ml Calcium Lime Rust Remover and letting it sit overnight. I then recommend getting a hammer with a wooden handle. Wrap the wall tap handle in a rag and firmly tap the handle all around with the wooden handle. Do not use the metal head of the hammer. 

Then proceed to wiggle it again, tap the handle again with the wooden handle and wiggle again. Repeat this process several times and if no progress is made, I suggest it's time to engage the services of a registered tradesperson. Forcing the issue might lead to further damage to your tap assembly and your plumbing fittings. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tap handles removed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
glenwu
Getting Established

@EricL @CSParnell @TedBear 

thanks erveryone's help. I finally succeed by another way. I take it off altogether.

IMG_20220819_200406.jpg

 

IMG_20220819_200747.jpg

 

IMG_20220819_204426.jpg

 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects