Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove these tap heads?

seannami
Building a Reputation

How to remove these tap heads?

Hi everyone

I am looking to replace the taps in my bathroom which look like this:

IMG_20220116_134103_936.jpg

There is no cap on the tap to get a spanner around, no screws anywhere on the outside to unscrew and no visible way to remove them that is obvious other than turning of the main water and turning the head until it falls off. Any ideas? A friend helped with the basin taps and we just have up and sawed the tops off (And had to drill into the skirt bit to move that too!).

There are 4 taps to remove- is there a way or am I whipping out the hack saw?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how yo remove these tap heads

Hi @seannami,

The best place to start would be by removing the cold sticker and seeing if there is anything underneath. This is the traditional location for a nut that retains the handle onto the spindle shaft. Failing that, I suspect a small grub screw in the side of the handle that pins in onto the shaft.

You might find that the handles are a press-fit and don't come off. These taps are removed by unscrewing the skirt fully, which allows access to the nut underneath. This nut unscrews the whole spindle and tap assembly out in one piece. However, this style is usually only used on basins, and I'd imagine the spindle on these wall taps is recessed too far into the wall for that style to be used.

You'll likely need to use some multi-grip pliers for the skirt. They'll give you a good grip on the skirt but ultimately destroy the finish in the process. However, that won't be an issue if they are just going in the bin anyway.

Let me know if there is nothing under the sticker and you can't find a grub screw in the side of the handle. If it's a grub screw, there will only be a tiny little hole.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
seannami
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I managed to get the sticker off and there is a cap over where I assume the screw is. This is as far as my friend and I got before the hacksaw had to come out. Any idea how to get the cap out?

IMG_20220116_143717_204.jpg

Damage is where I tried to shim and/or turn it with a screwdriver.

We tried a shifter, strap wrench and pliers and nothing gets those skirts off. Whoever put them on REALLY didn't want them gone!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Is this a seam @seannami? If so, can you rest a flat head screwdriver right on top of the edge of the cap and, with a downward driving strike from a hammer, dislodge it?

Failing that working and in the absence of a grub screw, I'd suggest cutting them off with a hacksaw would be the next best solution.

Mitchell

seannami
Building a Reputation

Thanks! It's going to have to be a hacksaw, nothing is budging.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Any chance of an autopsy - once removed?

I would love to know how they were suppose to come off.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @seannami

I hope I'm not too late, I suspect you have a blind fixed tap handle. Under the tap handle is a very special screw, it's round and has two notches on it. You need a special tap tool to remove it with. I've placed a photo of the screw and the tool to give you an idea of what it looks like. I suggest taking a picture of the back of the handle with your phone. If you see the two notches, you will need the special tool. It is included in the Kinetic Spout And Handles Repair Kit. If you have any other questions regarding your disassembly, please let us know.

Eric

seannami
Building a Reputation

Not too late, looking at it, that does seem to be what I have, thanks Eric!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Ahh...personally, good thing if Seannami hack-sawed them off - cathartic.  :smile:

I have one set of taps like that Eric and no matter what I try those mild steel 'pins' on the spanner which are simply two ends bent over are hopeless when it comes to removing those screws when they're well entrenched with years of grime. The spanners that come with the tap kits are generally sturdier, but the one with the Kinetic kit is very flimsy.

Are there better ones out there?

This came with the taps - but still the pins bend far too easy. :unhappy:

20220117_172137.jpg

seannami
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Noyade

"Good" news is the ones in the shower will have to be hack sawed, the screws won't budge and the little prongs got bent out as you said. Managed to get the bathtub taps done though. What I do need is a spout with a deeper thread, the Estillo set I got... pokes out:

tap.jpg

I want something fairly cheap since I will be redoing the bathroom entirely in a few years.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects