Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a hole in the shower pan?

Stay
Finding My Feet

How to repair a hole in the shower pan?

What would I use to repair this hole and also have a glossy finish after the repair please 

A4A6183C-323F-4416-8C06-DD399422E1C7.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repairing a hole in the shower pan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Stay. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a shower tray.

That's a relatively substantial amount of damage you're trying to repair there, and most people would consider replacing the tray.

If you wanted to try some type of repair, I'd suggest you start by removing any loose material and filling the void behind with expanding foam. That will give you a base to apply putty onto, so it doesn't simply fall inside. You can then fill the damaged portion with PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. It would be best to fill the void in a few separate applications instead of one larger fill. If you apply too much and the paste is then proud of the tray's surface, you'll find it extremely hard to sand back flush.

Although this product is labelled as white, it sets an off-grey colour. You'll need to paint over the filled area with epoxy or enamel paint. There are no specific paints suitable for acrylic or fibreglass trays, and your only option might be to use a standard gloss white enamel paint. Please be aware that there is a high chance that your repair will be noticeable, water leaks under the tray and that the paint and/or filler fails.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for the response will try all that you have mentioned thank you once again appreciated very much 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Let us know how you go @Stay and don't hesitate to ask for assistance if you get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Stay and Mitchell.

Twenty years ago I stupidly positioned a ladder in a bath so I could paint a ceiling section. I wobbled - and a ladder leg punched a hole in the bath.

I used a fiberglass repair kit - not pretty but it was waterproof.

That's an interesting epoxy above Mitchell - wish I had it back then. :unhappy:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects