Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace exhaust fan in ceiling with shallow roof?

alexi
Cultivating a Following

How to replace exhaust fan in ceiling with shallow roof?

Hello,

After 16 years, the exhaust fan above our shower gave up the ghost. 

Unfortunately for us, the fan itself is RIGHT above the shower, on top of the fact that I expect regular exhaust fans wouldn't fit.

Any recommendations on replacement fans. Particular ones for placement over showers and ones in tight spaces.

I haven't yet removed it to confirm whether it's just a plug-n-play style (and not sure if that's the norm for exhaust fans.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Exhaust fan in ceiling with shallow roof

Afternoon @alexi 

We have a fan directly above our shower which died some years back. I took it down and was pleased to find it had a 3-pin plug and there was a powerpoint in the roof cavity. I took it to Lawrence and Hanson who measured it and gave (I did pay for it) me a replacement that fitted the ceiling hole. Are you thinking being a shallow roof there is no powerpoint?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alexi,

Can you please tell our helpful member a little more about why you wouldn't expect regular fans to fit? Any idea of the height of the roof cavity?

It would likely be best if you could share some images of the fan so we have something to compare with the options available. Obviously, to do so, you might need an electrician to remove it from the ceiling. Standard exhaust fans that exhaust into the cavity are not very tall and certainly don't extend into the ceiling as far as other ducted varieties. If you do require the fan to be ducted to an eave, then I suggest you look at the side ducted varieties.

You'll find that most, if not all, exhaust fans state that they should not be installed directly above a shower recess. The zone for this area prohibits an electrical device from being within 1200mm of the showerhead. If your ceiling is within this zone, you'd need to look at an inline exhaust fan where the motor can be placed in the ceiling cavity.

You might also like to consider our exhaust fan installation offer. Simply purchase and installation card with your exhaust fan and speak with our helpful team at the Special Orders desk to arrange installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alexi
Cultivating a Following

pics of the fanpics of the fan

Here are a few pictures of the exhaust both with the fan and the fan removed..

it's in very very snug after removing the 3 bracing bolts.. and a picture of how far it is before it hits the corrugated iron roof above it.

Moving it isn't really an option until we decide to go ahead with a bathroom renovation. and there's limited space for the sucked out air to go besides in the tight cavity

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's not a great deal of room, is it @alexi? You'll find all our exhaust fans have their width and height in the specifications on the box. I'd recommend speaking with a helpful Electrical team member in-store to help select the most suitable product.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alexi
Cultivating a Following

I managed to finally get the darn thing out... 24cm diameter hole.

I'll take the unit down to Bunnings and see what might fit the bill. Any tips between now and later would be appreciated..

"You'll find that most, if not all, exhaust fans state that they should not be installed directly above a shower recess. The zone for this area prohibits an electrical device from being within 1200mm of the showerhead."

Thanks @MitchellMc Something our previous owner never knew of disregarded. 800mm for us.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects