Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry makeover for under $300 & hallway refresh

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Laundry makeover for under $300 & hallway refresh

IMG_1495.JPG

The back area near the laundry cupboard had been an add-on or closed in at some point in the last 100 years, but the exterior wall and window had been left, leaving it to feel very disconnected from the rest of the house and less than inspiring place to do laundry.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3cpxhJMLxRM

We opened up the hallway and added a header so we could create a walkway rather than a doorway.

IMG_1496.JPGIMG_5638.png

We had to replace the ceiling and added VJ boards and painted, giving the room a complete refresh.

IMG_6435.png

IMG_1495.JPG

Laundry Makeover for less than $300

We wanted to make the laundry area more functional for mum and dad. To achieve this we did the following;

🧺 We removed the standalone sink.

🧺 We added a new wood countertop (acacia sold hardwood project panel) with a drop-in sink 

🧺 Built shelves under the sink and a door out of the leftover project panel. We added a magnetic door catch 

🧺 Installed Tiles 

🧺 Installed a shelf to store laundry products

My parents are loving the new look. We managed to DIY this for them on a budget so thought this may be helpful to others.

IMG_8237.JPG

Happy Renovating 

Claire 

IG @renowayoflife

TT @renowayoflife

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry Makeover for under $300 & Hallway Refresh

Love your work, @Renowayoflife! What an incredible transformation on a budget you've achieved. 

I bet your parents are thrilled with the new bench space, and the hallway looks fantastic. You've tied everything together nicely.

Many thanks for sharing, as budget makeovers are always exceptionally popular with members.

Great work!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc mum and dad are thrilled with the transformation.

I can't wait to start sharing our house projects we are so close to finishing a few rooms.

thanks Claire 

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

@Renowayoflife Holy Nelly, what a fabulous difference, I love this! I'm at the start of fixing up an old place myself, and your pictures have given me some ideas, including opening up the ceiling, the VJ walls, and the acacia benchtop. I took a look at your video on YouTube, and I was wondering if you have that video in an uncompressed time format? I would love to be able to watch it in normal time to understand some of the finer details e.g. counter top supports etc.., and that video is just a tad too quick. A wonderful and very inspirational reno., thank you for sharing 😊

Hi @BoeingFan 

@I’d be happy to create a tutorial video on my YouTube.

i can then explain in more detail the steps plus include a material list if that’s helpful.

let me know

Claire 

G'day Claire @Renowayoflife 

That would be fantastic, I'd appreciate that very much!

Regards,

Jason

Hi @BoeingFan @Jason,

id love to hear more about your project. You mentioned it was an old house? What type of house is it? What are your plans? 

G'day Claire @Renowayoflife 

Here's a link to my project: My Real Slow Reno 

Basically, it's an old fibro number we bought when our neighbour passed away in the 80's. We think the house is circa `60's/70's (I'd love to get a more specific date on that), Mum used to use it for her leadlighting and woodworking ventures. It's sat untouched for 12 years now since Mum passed away. It's located next to my Dad's, who I'm moving home to take care of, as he's 84 now.

The biggest thing it needs is a working bathroom and laundry. I've started to demo the bathroom; it had an old electric Zip instant hot water system, which the shower rose ran directly off, and it heated the hot water for the whole house. As it's out in the middle of nowhere it's a little hard to get tradies out to it, but we've got a plumber who's quoted us to put in a brand new tank, reed bed and trench septic system, plus plumb the house for a bigger rainwater tank, new 250L electric hot water system, and dishwasher. What have you done!? :DWhat have you done!? :laugh:

She's all asbestos fibro outside, and some inside, but with the right PPE we will get rid of that. The thing I'm loving most, is getting out of the city, and having a huge yard to get out into. Fresh air and room to move.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects