Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno - working around stud placement

tremas
Building a Reputation

Laundry reno - working around stud placement

Hello!

I am about half way through a laundry renovation and would be interested in some tips.

Have just had the dyer installed which leaves room for a 450mm wide Flatpax wall cupboard and a 620mm wide open cabinet.

Some queries I have:

The studs are not in the ideal place so the plan is to connect some timber between the studs (which are 600mm apart) to secure the cupboards to (this was done for the dryer too):

• what sort of timber is best for this? it will need to be the same thickness of the timber used for the dryer install.
  • what screws should I use?
  • what's the optimal placement of the timber? I assume at the top and right at the bottom of the cupboards. 
  • is there a better approach?

I have used the Flapax range under the bench. Given the left over space is not an available size (620mm), does a Kaboodle colour match to the Flatpax colour? If they do, I could utilise the made to measure option there. If not - welcome any thoughts. I had thought about open shelves that can be easily cut to size, but don't think this will go well with the support beams needed (e.g. they will show and might not be optimally spaced) and I want the bottom shelf to line up with the bottom of the cupboard next to it so tiles can go in one straight line. 

Am looking at putting tiles for the splashback - I love My Laundry Reno by @ProjectPete - I note that he put the tiles in before the wall items... should tiles be the next logical step? I see this would ensure the best fit of the tiles, but i note the dryer is already installed, so height is largely set, although there's about a 5cm gap behind it...

Welcome any thoughts!

Thankyou!

20210419_182400.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Laundry reno - working around stud placement

Hi @tremas,

Thanks for reaching out to the community with your questions.

Let me mention @diy_hausdesigns, @JoeAzza, @redracer01 and @MitchellMc who may have helpful suggestions to kick off this discussion.

We'd love to hear how your project is going and see photos along the way, so please keep us updated with your project.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @tremas 

I had a similar issue and solution when I did my laundry. I ended up running 2 X (top and bottom at a slightly span than the height of the wall cabinets) 2400x90x35mm  lengths of timber along the wall (utilising the internal wall studs) giving me free placement along the wall. 

IMG_2167.jpg

Best of luck !

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks @diy_hausdesigns - yes looks like we have a similar situation! The timber cabinet you have used in your project - did you make that up yourself?

If you are referiing to the open shelves, Yes I did make them myself.  I used the in-built melamine panels (I'm a big fan of these) which are pretty easy to work with.

It allowed me to maximise the storage overhead and give a purpose built look.

----
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tremas,

A similar approach to what @diy_hausdesigns has used sounds like it would be the best option. If you can let us know what size timber has been used behind the dryer, we can suggest an equivalent type for the rest of the wall. Generally, you would be using Pine and standard timber screws. You'd want a screw that has enough length to go through your mounting timber and then also a significant distance into the stud. If you were to use any timber up to 35mm thick, something like Buildex 14-10 x 75mm Climacoat Bugle Head Batten Timber Screws would be suitable.

At the top and the bottom of the cabinets would be a suitable place to have the supporting timber. If you place the lower one right at the bottom, you'll be able to see it, so you'll need to paint it white to blend in.

Kaboodle and Flatpax both use white cabinetry. However, there are many shades of white, and as you're aware of their difference, you'll likely be able to tell them apart. I would imagine anyone else would have difficulty. They also use different construction techniques on the cabinetry and door panels. Kaboodle is vacuum formed with rolled edges, and the Flatpax is heat adhered melamine.

You can tile before or after the installation of the cabinetry. Tiling before might be slightly easier as the cabinets are not in the way. Although you'd want to make sure your final top run of tiles is very level to match the cabinetry bottom edge when installed.

I look forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Here's is a tip too @tremas 

I chose to create a recess by offsetting the horizontal timber from the very bottom of the cabinets. 

20210420_134619.jpg

This was to run some lighting (temporary solution in photo) and to hopefuly assist if I later decide to tile.

It also creates a nice floating effect too.

----

This is a great tip @diy_hausdesigns - thank you!

tremas
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for your reply.

The dryer timber is 200mm wide x 16mm thick. The studs in the wall are about 900mm thick.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tremas,

That's an interesting size of timber that has been used to mount the dryer. It appears to be something more similar to 90mm wide x 45mm thick Pine from your image, but that might be because of the angle of the photo. Was the 200mm wide x 16mm thick timber the top piece seen in the image? The closest to 200mm x 16mm would be Porta 184 x 19mm Premium Pine DAR

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects