Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno - working around stud placement

tremas
Building a Reputation

Laundry reno - working around stud placement

Hello!

I am about half way through a laundry renovation and would be interested in some tips.

Have just had the dyer installed which leaves room for a 450mm wide Flatpax wall cupboard and a 620mm wide open cabinet.

Some queries I have:

The studs are not in the ideal place so the plan is to connect some timber between the studs (which are 600mm apart) to secure the cupboards to (this was done for the dryer too):

• what sort of timber is best for this? it will need to be the same thickness of the timber used for the dryer install.
  • what screws should I use?
  • what's the optimal placement of the timber? I assume at the top and right at the bottom of the cupboards. 
  • is there a better approach?

I have used the Flapax range under the bench. Given the left over space is not an available size (620mm), does a Kaboodle colour match to the Flatpax colour? If they do, I could utilise the made to measure option there. If not - welcome any thoughts. I had thought about open shelves that can be easily cut to size, but don't think this will go well with the support beams needed (e.g. they will show and might not be optimally spaced) and I want the bottom shelf to line up with the bottom of the cupboard next to it so tiles can go in one straight line. 

Am looking at putting tiles for the splashback - I love My Laundry Reno by @ProjectPete - I note that he put the tiles in before the wall items... should tiles be the next logical step? I see this would ensure the best fit of the tiles, but i note the dryer is already installed, so height is largely set, although there's about a 5cm gap behind it...

Welcome any thoughts!

Thankyou!

20210419_182400.jpg

tremas
Building a Reputation

Re: Laundry reno - working around stud placement

Hi @MitchellMc - apologies, no idea where i got the 200mm from! It's 120mm. And yes it's the bit at the top left of the dryer20210420_153326.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for checking @tremas.

The 140 x 19mm x 1.8m Premium Grade Dressed Pine would likely be the best candidate, and the extra 20mm width will make it a bit easier to screw into when hanging the cabinetry. Depending on how accurately you measured the thickness, I shouldn't think 3mm will make much difference. I note the measurements on the ruler don't start at the end, so if you placed the tip on the wall, that might explain the slightly unusual 16mm thickness.

I'd suggest using Zenith 14G x 75mm Gold Passivated Bugle Head Type 17 Batten Timber Screws. 75mm is fairly long, but that gives you a solid 46mm of screw thread in the timber stud once it has passed through the 19mm baton and 10mm of plaster.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @tremas 

One of the traditional ways to find the stud in your wall is to use a magnet. If you have a semi powerful magnet in the house  you may run this along the suspected location of the stud. The magnet will latch on to the head of the nails holding the plasterboard on the wall. Every time you find a nail simply mark it with a pencil and you will soon see the nail pattern or line the builder took while attaching your plasterboard wall. This will give you an excellent guide where to find the stud and where to anchor your timber. It would not be amiss however to invest in a really good stud finder. Below is my favorite the Stanley 38mm S160, it has auto calibration and a central guide point to make sure you hit the stud dead center. Please keep us updated with your progress I'm sure everyone wants to see how you go with your cabinet wall mounting journey. 

Red

Screenshot_2021-04-27 Stanley 38mm S160 Stud Finder.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

tremas
Building a Reputation

Have made progress - timber has been drilled into studs for the cabinets to go into and the open cabinat has been built and installed. What screws should I have used to put the cabinet in the wall? The timber brace is 19mm and back of the cabinet is 16mm - i used 38mm- hope that's ok!

cab.png

20210606_162911.jpg

Hello @tremas 

Very nicely done! If you wish to give your cabinet an extra point of support you can do a modified french cleat at the top of your cabinet. Since you have already installed the timber on to the wall, mount a 19 x 40 piece of timber at the back of the cabinet where it will meet the timber brace at the top of the cabinet. This will be like a secondary anchor for your cabinet should you happen to place anything heavy in the cabinet. But the screws you've used should be adequate. Looking forward to the final reveal when you have all your wall cabinets up. If you need help with anything else please post it here on workshop.

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fabulous @tremas. Well done!

Is the tiled splashback next on the list for the laundry reno project?

Please keep us updated and reach out if you need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects