Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leaking taps

unskilled
Just Starting Out

Leaking taps

the bathroom sink taps have been leaking for a while, i replaced the washers and this lasted about 2 days. then i reseated the spindle bit where the washers go and this lasted a couple of days, but ultimately the tap started to re drip. i tried to replace the whole spindle but the size didn't seem to work, it appeared to be an odd size compared to the different types I could source at Bunnings.

long explaination short, i now just want to replace the existing whole sink with an above counter sink

Mondella 410mm White Rococo Square Vitreous China Basin - 1 Tap Hole

and a new tap system

Evacare Extended Lever Basin Mixer

could someone explain if I can replace the 3 hole sink with the 1 hole sink and the tap above if this is possible?? and will it fix my leaking issue??

thanks.20200104_125335.jpg20200104_125346.jpg20200104_135920.jpg20200104_135923.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Leaking taps

Hi @unskilled,

Welcome to the Workshop community and thanks for making your first post. I suspect most Workshop community members would encourage you to engage a plumber for this job, but feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything around the house and garden. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the Workshop site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Yeah, invest in a good plumber @unskilled. Will be money well spent.  

JDE
Becoming a Leader

@unskilled 

Hi

Yes you can and yes it would solve drip. But you will need to cut and join water pipes to make it fit. Having read other forums on this its strictly a plumber job if you like your insurance etc.  Have you tried a hydroseal tap seat replacement set, this will give you a new seat? Available at Bunnings. If its the spindle, you can take the spindle to a plumbing shop they would be able to match it. Must admit new basin looks nice.

James 

DIY-Dilatante
Getting Established

I guess by now you'll have done whatever, but I'll add this comment for the sake of others who might come looking with a similar problem.

Check under the sink to see if it has flexible or rigid pipes connecting to the taps.

If they're flexible then it's a reasonable DIY job to replace the taps with a mixer. Depending on the relative positions of the connections, you may need new flexible pipes if the old ones won't reach (or will be too long).

If the pipes are rigid then there's a chance you can simply unscrew a section (of each pipe) and replace it with a new flexible section.

If neither option is possible, or if the prospect of replacing flexible piping every 15-20 years is undesirable, you'll probably want to get a plumber to install rigid connecting pipes instead.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @DIY-Dilatante,

It’s great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community, and thanks for your input in this discussion. Let me tag @unskilled so they don’t miss your comment. 

You’re absolutely right that it could help others in the community too, so it's always worth adding to the discussion, even later down the track.

Look forward to hearing about your projects around the house and garden. 

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects