Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted bathroom tiles before and after

Ari
Having an Impact

Painted bathroom tiles before and after

After seeing the great before and after from @elmac , and receiving a crazy large quote to rip out and redo my bathrooms, I decided I'd start a steady cosmetic reno by painting the tiles. I figured if I had a bad result I'd suck it up and rip out/redo at some point. I had previously painted my ugly grey 1995 kitchen cupboards white three years ago with White Knight and had a good result.

This time I used the Dulux Renovator Range, using the white colour off the shelf with no tinting. My existing tiles were an off white colour with grey marbling.

I started by cleaning the tiles with a green scourer/sponge to ensure there was no soap residue etc. 

Then electric sander with 120 grit (my trusty Ozito 18V Detail Sander - I love it - use it all the time)

Then a light hand sand with 400 grit.

Then

1L Dulux Primer 1 coat, wait 4 hours

1L Dulux Renovation Range Tiles & Benchtops Satin White 2 coats, wait 8 hours after each coat.  Yes 2 coats are essential.

(I would have bought gloss rather than satin but my Bunnings was out of stock of the gloss)

1L Dulux Renovation Range Clear Coat Gloss 1 coat

All four coats took 2 days/2 nights. Light hand sand using 400 grit between coats.

Tools:

Paint brush for cutting in. I used a 75mm and would suggest you also have a 20mm if you have to paint around taps that are close to the bath/spout as I did.  Very easy to wash out with water.

Uni pro mini rollers - I used 7 as I am too lazy to wash them.

Teaspoon handle to open the paint tins.

Old fork to stir the paints.

Chux, microfibre cloth etc to wipe away drops

Old towel to put my paint tin on, I'm a bit messy.

Stanley knife - see tips below!

My tips:

- I didn't bother taping. I'm a bit lazy, but there also tends to be decent 'edges' with tiles or a mm or two between surfaces which means it's not necessary if you have a steady hand.

- YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ANY CLEAR SEALER / SILICONE !  I didn't even notice that I had clear sealer until I realised the paint wasn't sticking along one edge.  I thought I'd just do a few coats over the clear silicone and eventually the paint would stick - but no friends it doesn't!  It wasn't the end of the world but it was a bit annoying as I had to scrape off 2cm of paint and silicone on the edge, then re-prime and re-paint. Get your stanley knife around the edges to check if you have clear silicone before you start priming.

- As with all painting, go back and check a few times to make sure you don't have any drips, especially on groutlines. Use an unloaded roller over the end of each coat which will help get rid of drips.  I found this paint good quality and really easy to work with.

- As others have found I had LOADS of paint left over.  So I did my kitchen splashback as well, which used up the rest of the white paint. I still have at least a third of a tin of the primer and clear coat left over.

- Note the primer only has a pot life of 3 days, so if you're planning on doing more than one room with it, you'll need to at least prime the second room fairly quickly after the first.  The white paint and clear coat has a pot life of 10 days.

That's it!  It was easy to use and easy to do.  My result is not as dramatic as others as my tiles were a lightish colour anyway, but I'm ecstatic with the result which is way better than the photos show.  It's a real brightener and the tiles look new.

Definitely recommend. 

Bath 1 Before.jpgBath 1 After.jpgBath/shower beforeBath/shower beforeBath 2 After.jpgVanity Before.jpgVanity After.jpgKitchen splashback beforeKitchen splashback beforeKitchen splashback afterKitchen splashback afterKitchen closeup beforeKitchen closeup beforeKitchen closeup afterKitchen closeup after

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painted Bathroom Tiles - Before and After

Hello @Ari,

What an elegant transformation of your bathroom and kitchen. Thank you for sharing your tools, materials list, and methods on how you transformed the colour of your tiles.

Your tip on checking the edges of your walls for clear silicone will be much appreciated by those who plan on painting their own tiles. I was surprised as well by the coverage provided by Dulux 1L Renovation Range Tiles & Benchtops Satin White. That kitchen splash came out great and makes the area look so much brighter.

Thank you so much for providing information about how you painted your tiles. We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marija49
Getting Established

Re: Painted bathroom tiles before and after

your work is beautiful. Well done

Ari
Having an Impact

Hi All

One month down with white painted bathroom tiles.  They are still looking great and I have just done my ensuite as well. The ensuite had a chrome bath products holder hanging from the shower head which immediately chipped the paint, so that's had to go.

I've also just added white silicone to the corners and edges, which has really added a professional finish.  It's the stickiest stuff EVER though. 

Cheers, Ari

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ari

Thank you so much for that update on your painted bathroom tiles. It's good to know that the paint is still looking great. We would definitely love an updated say after a few months just to see how the painted tiles are holding up.

Again, thanks for sharing we look forward to seeing more.

Eric

wa1
Just Starting Out

Excellent 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome @wa1 and thanks for jumping straight into this discussion with your friendly comment. It's great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community and I'm sure @Ari appreciates the feedback.

Are you planning a bathroom renovation yourself or just admiring this one? We're here to help with any upcoming projects you may have planned.

Stevie

Shayna
Just Starting Out

Hi ,

Just wondering how the painted tiles are going.

How do they hold up to cleaning? Eg build up of any soap scum or goopy areas on kitchen splash back?

I need to do something with my horrible kitchen and bathroom.

Thanks.

S

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Shayna and thanks for contributing to this discussion. Let me tag @Ari to see if they can give us an update.

These Workshop members have shared similar projects in their bathrooms or kitchens and may also be able to share how the painted tiles hold up:

Feel free to hit Start a discussion to share a picture of your bathroom and kitchen so that community members can get a better idea of what you're working with and offer ideas and advice. We'd love to help with your project.

Stevie

DIYMum
Having an Impact

Hi @Shayna 

I painted my kitchen tiles about 5-6 years ago and they are still looking great! They clean up well (I usually just use warm soapy water or a bit of gumption on a soft cloth). I think doing the proper prep work is the key to their longevity 😀 Ensuite tiles only done recently so hoping they hold up as well as the kitchen ones have! 

Good luck with yours.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects