Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting a shower base

Max1
Getting Established

Painting a shower base

hi I need a bit of advice

I want to paint my shower base but am not quite sure what it is made of

it would be about 30 years old if not more

can I use White Knight tub and basin paint on it

as you can see by picture it is in pretty bad condition

replacing it is not an option

can anyone help 

7D48020F-5AAD-4736-816F-182F87126290.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting a shower base

Welcome to the Workshop community @Max1. Many thanks for your question. I'd be happy to answer it for you.

White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint can only be used on vitreous enamel coated metal shower bases. It cannot be used on other base types, including acrylic and fibreglass.

The key to ensuring excellent adhesion is to prep the surface sufficiently. I highly recommend you invest in a 3m Instant Lead Test Kit 2 Swabs before following any instructions on prepping. If lead is present, you should wear protective equipment such as long-sleeved gloves, a respirator, and disposable overalls. You should apply water whilst sanding to prevent dust. All the surrounding areas must be cleaned down thoroughly and the cleaning material disposed of.

Take a Flexovit 230 x 280mm 120 Grit Wet And Dry Sanding Sheet and scuff up the surface of the base. You do not need to sand it smooth but rather scratch the whole surface to provide a key for the paint to bind into. Once the entire surface has been abraided, clean it down with sugar soap and rinse clean with fresh water. Allow to dry and follow the manufacturer's advice located on the packages for application.

I've used this product to rejuvenate an old bathtub with multiple layers of lead-based paint. It was in terrible condition with flaking and powdery paint. This product has worked exceptionally well, and I am very impressed with how it has held up.

If you need any further advice or have questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Max1
Getting Established

Re: painting a shower base

Many thanks Mitchell will give it a go  will post results when finished thanks 

Hi @Max1 , was wondering if you've finished your shower base?  Would love to see some pics here if you have.

Cheers,

Wendy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @WendyJane.

It's fantastic to have you join us and I'd also be interested in seeing the results if @Max1 has completed their project. We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your house and garden. We'd also encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or have something to share with the community. 

Mitchell

Max1
Getting Established

@WendyJane 

EFE1662A-A0DE-4179-8480-05265C2AEF46.jpeg

E9C7BF52-3E66-4D3B-8F80-F6CD570F507D.jpeg

Shower all finished  not completely perfect but 100 percent better than what it was just wish I  had time to give it a third coat but paint is only viable for 36 hours I even painted the drain which was cromeand pretty rusty used metal rust proof paint and it came up really good 

DB6C3CD4-D7F5-4F59-B3C3-07271135E91E.jpeg

Thanks for the pics @Max1 , looks great!

Hello, I tryed to follow your instructions but I can not find the product in the Bunnings store??

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kirsty4,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and we look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. I take it you are working on a bathroom renovation at the moment?

Could you please clarify which product you are looking for so we can assist? Was it the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint? What is your nearest Bunnings store? If you could provide some more information, I'm sure we can help you find what you need. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We're here to help. 

Many thanks,

Jason

Can this product be used on an acrylic (ie, not porcelain) shower pan?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects