Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Re-sealing terrazzo shower base

KevinM
Finding My Feet

Re-sealing terrazzo shower base

Just wondering what I can purchase at Bunnings to re-seal a terrazzo shower base? I was under the house this weekend and noticed that there is water dripping through the base. I don't want water pooling under the house or dripping and rotting onto the house foundations. 

Thanks for your help, 

Kev

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Re-sealing terrazzo shower base

Welcome to Workshop @KevinM. We're glad you could join in the D.I.Y. discussion and trust that you'll receive lots of helpful information for this project and many others to come in future. Please post whenever you need assistance. 

I wonder whether @LePallet might be able to assist with this one from his plumbing days. You certainly don't want water seeping through the floor...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hi there @KevinM

there is a product at Bunnings where you just cover the whole shower floor and walls, let it sit for a day and then wash it off. Head there mate and you will be guided to the right place or you could get a Tiler in to re grout your shower base.

Now this is if there is a leak in the base and not coming from the wall or a leaking mixer tap behind the wall 

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Assume @LePallet is referring to this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/shower-plug-220ml-sealant_p1585225

It doesn't seem to mention terrazzo but it will work on tiles, terracotta, slate and marble so I don't see why not. 

Thanks everyone. I've got the sealant and will be tackling the project next week. Just need to clean the shower thoroughly first, and then leave it for a few days to dry out, which is a bit hard at this time of year. 

All done now, and had my first shower this morning after sealing it. 

Will get under the house on the weekend and see if it is still leaking anywhere. Fingers crossed it's done the job...

Got under the house on the weekend while the shower was on and water is no longer dripping through the terrazzo base. I still have a drip at the edge though, I think I need to replace the silicone between the terrazzo and the tiles. Some house movement might have caused a crack or two. At least I am making progress...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects