Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shower hob removal

Sooze
Cultivating a Following

Shower hob removal

Hello

We have started renovating our home and its our first time renovating a bathroom.

We have started the process of removing the shower hob. Used Ozito hammer/drill and also craftright hammer. (Sourced the tools to use from this forum)

We now have to different levels.

The floor level and the shower floor level.

Do we remove the shower floor tiles so its the same height as the floor? See pic.

We plan to have a shower base installed but not sure if we need a plumber or a tiler first and what instruction is required or if this is something we can do ourselves? 

Appreciate feedback and suggestions.

Thank you

20210708_065208.jpg

20210708_065415.jpg

20210708_065359.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Shower hob removal

Thanks for sharing @Sooze

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow.

Let me tag some other helpful members who might like to share their advice: @Adam_W, @JDE, @ProjectPete, @Mathy.

Looking forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sooze 

Thank you for sharing your question about your shower hob.

My apologies for the late reply. If you are not building another surround and keeping the area flat you will have to remove the higher shower floor. You also need to make it a little bit lower to put a flat finish on its surface that is level with your current floor. If you are tiling that area again then it will need to accommodate the height of the glue and tile. However, if the shower base is bigger than the damaged area then it just needs to be flat and level.

I recommend having the tiler in first once you've prepared the area. Please make sure that the waste pipe and the drain waste of the shower tray are aligned. Would it be possible for you to post the model and type of shower tray you are installing? This will allow us to give you better advice.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your shower area once it is finished.

Eric

Sooze
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

Thank you for your reply we really appreciate it.

We will work on removing the higher shower tiles and then look for a shower base. 900x900 is what we are looking to buy which is bigger than the original footprint of the hob.

Will keep you updated.

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sooze

Thank you very much for the update. Please remember to post the type of tray you will get so that our members will have a better idea of what you are using for your project. If you need information or advice, please do not hesitate to ask. We are more than happy to help.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing more.

Eric

Sooze
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

Can you please confirm we need to have a plumber install a reflux valve?

The reason we ask is we had a friend come over and he said by law we have to have it because we removed the shower hob.

Help please!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sooze

If you are getting the services of a plumber for other plumbing works, you can ask them if you need to install a shower trap. A shower trap prevents the smells of the sewer from traveling back up into your bathroom. If you have removed the trap you would immediately know by the smell coming from your shower. Most shower traps are installed either below or further away from the shower. It is sometimes difficult to determine as it is cemented into the floor.

Let me tag our experienced member @TedBear for their recommendation.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with @EricL about the shower trap... it will still be there where the floor drain is.

However I would recommend getting the advice of a plumber since there are laws involved in what is done in wet areas to prevent other attached areas getting water seepage and causing health issues or even weakening walls. It would be bad if you had to remove it due to local council requirements and/or health issues.

You could ask for a quote and listen to the advice given to see if you think it safe enough (water-seal wise ) and worth doing it all yourself, or not.

Sooze
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for your reply.

We will contact plumbers and get quotes for shower tray versus wet floor and do we need a reflux valve in case of flooding because we have removed the shower hob. 

WA based so will need to find out rules and regulations etc from plumber.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects