Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tap Bonnet dramas

timjeffries
Making a Splash

Tap Bonnet dramas

TLDR

Any ideas how to get this tap bonnet off?

image.jpg

Hi everyone, the tap set installed across our house is my nemesis. If I had the money I would replace them all with something I could easily take on and off.

Right now I’m struggling to unscrew this tap bonnet. I’m certain I’m screwing it the correct way and I’ve managed to get a paint scraper in between the bonnet and the tiles. I think the thread is just stuck and I can’t grip it well enough to force it to turn because of the design.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated. 🙏🏻

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tap Bonnet dramas

Hi @timjeffries,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be pleased to assist. This is a fairly common issue with tapered tap flanges. The angular nature makes it quite hard to grip when unscrewing them. I would advise running a blade under the flange in the gap you have created as occasionally silicone is applied before it is screwed on. In the discussion Plumbing issue unable to unscrew faucet flange you'll note @AndrewL managed to remove theirs by spraying WD40 several times to loosen the silicon/corrosion and purchased a Haron 160mm Strap Wrench which allowed the flange to be unscrewed.

After removing the taps they replaced them with quarter turn ceramic ones which didn't have tapered flanges.

Please let me know how you go and we can continue to find a solution if this doesn't assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, I’ve been able to run a knife behind the flange comfortably so I’m confident it’s not stuck with silicone.

The angle makes it difficult to be sure the WD40 is actually getting to the thread which I think is where it’s stuck. Previously I resorted to cutting one of these off with a hacksaw. 😂

Also do you have a guide about how to use the strap wrench on the tapered flange? I struggle to get any tension with it but suspect it’s my technique. Thanks.

@timjeffries,

In the previously mentioned thread, @redracer01 suggests if it comes to a destructive solution some Vice-grips can be used to crush the flange. Although I typically wouldn't advise it, I have been able to remove the whole tap spindle (including the flange) by attaching Vise-grips to the end of the spindle and un-screwing it anti-clockwise. Then, of course, you are still left with the flange attached to the spindle but once it is out there are more areas to grab onto.

Mitchell

@timjeffries,

I can't think of any specific guide on its use on tapered flanges. It can be quite difficult at the best of times, just try to pull the rubber strap as tight as possible before engaging the handle. Another method you could try is taking Gaffer tape and wrapping it multiple times around the tapered flange creating something more cylindrical to grip onto. I've heard of this method working for several people before.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @timjeffries 

Wrap your hammer head with a tshirt and gently tap around the bonnet to loosen calcium deposit. Tap all around sotly then twist on bonnet. Tap tap tap and twist when the calcium loosens then it come off.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Tim (@timjeffries)

Just wanted to reach out and say hello. It's fantastic to see you back on the site. Hope you and the family are staying safe and well, and have been coping OK during this most challenging year. 

Have you had the chance to get stuck into any projects around the house or garden lately? 

Jason

Thanks Red, I've been persisting with this method but have still had no luck. I'm kind of unsure when to just call it and cut the damn things off. :🤣

Hi Jason,

It has been a while since I've been active on here. I actually had a head injury that kept me from any projects for quite a while. I'm back in the game now though and have just finished building this beauty. I'll get a few photos together and make a post over the weekend while I'm waiting for these tap bonnets to magically come off. 🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_3972.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects