Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tap Bonnet dramas

timjeffries
Making a Splash

Tap Bonnet dramas

TLDR

Any ideas how to get this tap bonnet off?

image.jpg

Hi everyone, the tap set installed across our house is my nemesis. If I had the money I would replace them all with something I could easily take on and off.

Right now I’m struggling to unscrew this tap bonnet. I’m certain I’m screwing it the correct way and I’ve managed to get a paint scraper in between the bonnet and the tiles. I think the thread is just stuck and I can’t grip it well enough to force it to turn because of the design.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated. 🙏🏻

Re: Tap Bonnet dramas

So sorry to hear of your injury Tim (@timjeffries) - that sounds terrible and I hope you have now made a full recovery. So glad to hear you are back on the tools, I know how passionate you are about designing and creating. The bookshelf looks terrific. Your older projects certainly continue to be really popular with both old and new members alike. I'm sure you've noticed that the community has really grown a lot recently - so lots of new people discovering your great work!  

Looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. I'm sure the rest of the community will be as pleased as I am to have you back on board. Please let us know if you need anything. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Still no luck with these tap bonnets and I'm thinking I'm going to have to break them off somehow.

So 2 questions:

- what's the easiest way to get these off if I'm going to break them anyway?

- should I replace them with a different style given how much trouble I've been having?

Hi Tim (@timjeffries),

I'm sorry to hear you are still having difficulties. A pair of Irwin 250mm Vise Grip Curved Jaw Locking Pliers done up tight and locked onto the flange would most likely do it. You might need to tap the flange with a hammer and collapse it inwards to give them something to bite onto.

I would recommend replacing the tap with ceramic disk alternatives that don't have tapered flanges.

Mitchell

Walzz
Building a Reputation

@timjeffries 

In the past I've been able to loosen those surrounds with a hammer and a small cold chisel. A couple of sharp taps downward on the left hand edge with the point of the chisel pointing slightly inwards so that it bites into the brass and causes the surround to loosen as it rotates anticlockwise.

I'm with you Mitchell.

Something with crushing potential.

Worked for me.

20200921_074205.jpg

Im having the same problem.  I have tried every answer i can find. Nothing is working.  I have leaking tap all throughout the house and the same bonnets all stuck. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tanz. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Have you tried any of the recommendations offered in this discussion yet? Tapered flanges can be quite difficult to remove if they have been siliconed into place or dirt and grime has built up around where they meet the surface. Sometimes destructive removal is the only choice.

I'd suggest you follow the directions mentioned here and then report back to us if you are still having difficulty. 

Mitchell

Thank you this worked for me - was able to remove a stubborn bonnet. 

(Signed up to post this)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Haydon. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Which one of the methods mentioned worked for you? I trust any of our members struggling with a similar issue would appreciate knowing the technique you used.

Many thanks for joining us to let us know you found this discussion useful. Please reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

i used all -

knife under the base to ensure no sealant

strap wrench to undo it.

tapping on it with a hammer (use the strap wrench rubber to cushion the surface, hammer all around.

wiggle the tap back and forward, and try and wiggle the shaft in the bonet.

spray wd40 down the shaft.

and repeat 10x over the course of 2 days letting the wd 40 soak into the hole.  note to wipe it off before attempting to use the strap wrench.  It'll eventually give.

then clean threads with toothbrush / wirebrush

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects