Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tap leaking when connected to washing machine

DChew
Just Starting Out

Tap leaking when connected to washing machine

Hello everyone. Need some expert advice. My cold tap (bottom) is leaking a lot (from picture) when it is turned on . I thought it was the problem with the hose and I change it to a new hose. However, it turns out it may be the tap. 

The hot tap (top) sometimes leak a bit when it’s turned on but it’s not as bad as the cold tap. 

What do I need & how do I to repair this?

Thank you so much.

Cheerio,

DChew

59E8235E-7FF5-445E-A54A-BA1DEB377FAD.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Tap leaking when connected to washing machine

Hi @DChew 

Excellent photo! - I believe I can see a stream of water coming from out of the cold water tap head.

These taps are rather inexpensive from memory, and you can get them in a smaller variety?

I would be replacing them. You have new hoses. But that's just me - lets see what others think. 😁

Cheers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DChew 

The damage you are currently observing is the failure of the O-ring inside the spindle body. You can either repair this damage with a FIX-A-TAP Nylon Tap Valve Repair Kit - 4 Pack or replace the entire unit with an Estilo Chrome Washing Machine Set. The general steps are to turn off your mains water tap outside the house, remove the washing machine tap handles and unscrew the spindle. You'll then need to disassemble the spindle body and replace the O-ring. Please remember to install the O-ring first before you apply the spindle grease.

I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how the spindle needs to be repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DChew
Just Starting Out

Thank you for the reply. :smile:

DChew
Just Starting Out

Hello Eric,

Thank you so much for the reply. I have a few questions as below:

1) Main Water Tap

As I’m living in an apartment, I’ve allocate the main tap under the kitchen sink.

- Is it the green handle (yellow circled on the attached photo)?

- do I just turn it 90 degree to turn it off? 

2) Replacing the whole tap unit

- I think I may go for your suggestion to change the whole unit. 

C87D097F-190C-401F-8152-22CE00278806.jpeg

- Do you have a video link or any form of direction on how to change it?

Thank you soooo much.

Cheerio,

DChew 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DChew 

If you have a building manager, I suggest speaking to them first to find out if this is the correct valve to shut off. I recommend holding off on shutting this valve off as it might affect the other residents in your apartment. I'm sorry but I don't have a video guide to show you how it's done, however, the general steps to remove them are straightforward. You'll need a shifter to turn the taps anti-clockwise, clean the brass nipple on the wall and remove all the old tape wrapped around it. Apply new plumber's tape to it and screw the new washing machine taps on. Please make sure that they are facing in the correct direction and that there are no leaks.

Please make sure to wear safety equipment such as safety gloves when handling tools and removing the washing machine taps from your wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects