Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Top loading vs Front loading washing machines?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Top loading vs Front loading washing machines?

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I don't have any photo's as yet, I'm merely asking the question about tearing apart my laundry that has a top loading Fisher & Paykel washing machine that I've owned for 17 years and a Smeg front loading drier that is vented out through the wall.

In between these two appliances is a stainless washtub with taps and above everything is a window.

What are your thoughts on front loading washing machines, as I have never owned one of these and the washing machine I have is on it's last legs, this is the catalyst for change here.

I have heard that front loading machines are more gentle on the clothes, do they take 90% of the water out of the clothes like a top loading machine does on it's final spin cycle?

This is the sort of information I'm after, from those that already own these machines.

If you could please help, that would be awesome.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Top loading vs Front loading washing machines?

Hi @theDIYedit,

Thanks for your advice, regarding the capacity of a front-loader that I hadn't thought of, you don't have an agitator in the middle taking up quite a bit of space, every time you use it.

And to be fair, I've lost count of the times I've had stuff wrapped around the agitator, namely underwear and socks.

@EricL, thanks for giving me some concept drawings, mate, this has given me some food for thought as to how this might finally look, which is quite hard to visualise on a floor plan, when you don't have the Z (vertical) component of the equation as opposed to merely X and Y (width and length of the room).

I am however quite limited by the full width window that is 1450 mm above floor level and this goes up to ceiling height.

But surely, there must be a way to fit all of this in the given space.

Myself and the "Finance Manager" have been discussing this in the last few days as we are both sick and tired of the way the laundry is set out.

We need to add more storage on the opposite wall (think cupboard space), being so close to the front door, it is also a default "mud room" for shoes, gumboots, umbrellas, you name it, this would be an opportunity to get this sorted out, once and for all.

The joys of living in a house that was built in 1962.

I can't thank you folks that have given me advice, enough, I really appreciate it.

I will get some pictures in the next few days (workload depending) and upload them to let you guys see what you are really dealing with.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects