Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Water leaking from the base of the toilet

tusshhar
Finding My Feet

Water leaking from the base of the toilet

Hi, there is water coming out from the base of the toilet seat. I checked the pipes, joints, and flush, and all look good. Water is not clearly visible unless zoom in, in the attached photo but it is there. It will stop leaking after some time and if it is not used. 

What could be the issue? Is the wax seal ring broken? How do I change it and what part do I need to buy for this model?

20220331_204725.jpg20220402_131841.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water leaking from the base of the toilet

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tusshhar. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing your toilet.

If you're sure that the water is leaking from beneath the pan and not the taps, then this might be a job for a plumber. The repair will involve the complete removal of the toilet pan and the re-setting. You'll need to check the regulations in your local area as a licensed plumber is typically required for this type of work.

It would not be common for the leak to be originating from under the pan. It's most likely leaking from the flush pipe or taps and dripping down the back of the pan. This would give the impression that the pan itself is leaking.

I'd suggest paying the call-out fee and getting a plumber to diagnose where the leak is precisely. That could save you a whole heap of work removing the pan yourself.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I agree with @MitchellMc that it is most likely the flush pipe, since you say that it stops if not used for a while.  If it was pan being cracked, it would likely dry out the water in the pan. You don't mention what model it is, but seals for the flush pipe are available for most systems.  To replace, you need to remove the seat and the cover at the back of it. The flush pipe can be unscrewed from the cistern and then wriggled free from the seat. Then you will see the seal attached to that pipe. Chances are it needs replacing.

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

I also agree with the Bunnings experts (you know who you are) I to noticed a small leak in the loo that became bigger so plugged it up the best way I could with heaps  of towels I had destroyed painting. Rang the after hours plumber said Thankyou and got more towels  In the morning I rang my local plumber b🌺 

tusshhar
Finding My Feet

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You're most welcome, @tusshhar. Keep us updated, and reach out if you need further advice. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects