Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alternative design for moving boxes

raymondo
Building a Reputation

Alternative design for moving boxes

I have the dreaded job of moving houTemporary moving tool boxTemporary moving tool boxse, which of course, includes tools in the workshop. On previous occasions, due to the weight of tools, I have made boxes, in the style of old fruit boxes, out of pine fence palings. Unfortunately, the boxes can end up being as heavy as the tools in them.  I'm looking for an alternative material, which is strong enough, cost effective, and easy to construct. Cardboard boxes are not up to the job and plastic boxes break. 

Would love to hear of any suggestions that others have found effective. 

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Alternative design for moving boxes

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @raymondo. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You might find plastic containers that crack and break are of the more budget-friendly variety. We have a whole range of heavy-duty storage crates which would be suitable for this purpose. You might like to utilise these style of crates not only for moving the tools but as a longer-term organisation and storage solution.

I would struggle to think of a material you could use to build these that would be strong enough but also lighter than timber.

Let me mention some of our workshop enthusiasts @JDE, @r23on, @Walzz, @Poppop, @woodenwookie to see if they might have a solution to moving tools.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymondo
Building a Reputation

thanks for that..

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Raymondo 

I hear you as someone who seems to move every 3 to 4 years. I have resorted to using milk crates and milk crate sized plastic  tubs this size for most of my tools. While a little smaller than ideal for the moving part I have heavy duty shelves and have tools and equipment organised this way after moving the tools easily slide on the shelves in their tubs already grouped again.

JDE

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Possibility the best and cheapest method is to go to the local military disposal store and grab a couple of trunks for all your tools. Make up a frame with some wheels fit the trunks to the frame for ease movement

raymondo
Building a Reputation

Good idea.. thanks

raymondo
Building a Reputation

Yes, I  already use some Milk crates. I still have some originals which were a lot tougher than the new varieties.

No lids, sadly. which makes it difficult to give to a carrier.

thanks

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest 6mm (or thicker if need be, esp for bottoms) MDF panelling, using metal rt angle strips to make the corners. It is much stronger than cardboard but not as heavy as pine boards. Also fairly cheap to buy, easy to cut.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects