Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Barefoot training: Foam mats or rubber tiles?

Johnson
Growing in Experience

Barefoot training: Foam mats or rubber tiles?

I plan to cover my concrete garage floor for training (mainly kicking boxing bag) with barefoot. I found two options from Bunnings: Rubber Gym Tile and Interlock Foam Mats. However, due to the lockdown restrictions I cannot feel the products in store.

My understanding is that, the rube gym tile is more durable (good for weight lifting) and form mats are better for barefoot training. Is this correct? Can I train comfortably with barefoot on rube gym tile?

Thanks! 

Cheers

Johnson

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Barefoot training: Foam mats or Rubber tile

Hi @Johnson,

The Ultimate Flooring 1 x 1m Rubber Gym Tile - Black is more durable than the EVA 50 x 50cm Interlock Foam Mats Solid Black Pk4. The foam mats are softer and could be more comfortable on sensitive bare feet. However, it should be quite comfortable training on either. I guess it depends on whether you have any pre-existing foot issues or how sensitive your feet are. Personally, I've never trained with mats and have spent hundreds of hours training on hard timber floors with bare feet. I can't say I've ever experienced any significant discomfort and can only imagine that any type of mat would be undoubtedly more comfortable than that.

Perhaps you could use the rubber mats on the area where you weightlift and switch to the foam mats around the boxing bag?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Johnson
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc ! Mixing them for different purposes is a great idea! 

Cheers

Johnson

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Johnson. I trust our members would be interested in seeing your finished results and hearing your feedback on the mats.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Johnson
Growing in Experience

Sure! I'm also looking forward to it!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects