Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Barn-style door for backyard studio

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Barn-style door for backyard studio

2B3D14D7-BA97-4327-8E81-1DE2ED50850F.JPG

5ABCE341-5789-459A-9892-5169F698438E.JPG

So we have a door! Isn't she pretty!?

This is the first of 4, barn style doors we are going to make for our shed and studio. This door has been a bit of trial and error but we are pretty happy with the result!

We special ordered through Bunnings 138 x 18mm Western Red Cedar VJ cladding and, DAR Western Red Cedar for the rails and stiles.

I've uploaded as many photos as we remembered to take along the way of the making process, but if you have any questions let me know. :smile:

IMG_0442.JPGIMG_0393.JPGIMG_1909.jpgIMG_1911.jpgIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0371.JPGIMG_0446.JPGIMG_0415.JPGIMG_0447.JPGIMG_0383.JPGIMG_0398.JPGIMG_0420.JPGIMG_0419.JPGIMG_0465.JPGIMG_0463.JPGIMG_0425.JPGIMG_2350.jpgIMG_2380.jpgIMG_0464.JPGIMG_2439.jpgIMG_0486.JPGIMG_0466.JPGIMG_2524.JPGIMG_2521.JPGIMG_0473.JPGIMG_0474.JPGIMG_0476.JPGIMG_0461.JPGIMG_2372.jpgIMG_2597.JPGIMG_2598.JPGIMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Barn Style Door

Beautiful work @DIYgals. I love the style you're going with and happy to hear that there are more doors like this to come. It's going to look absolutely stunning.

We really appreciate the time you've taken to share the photos and details of your process. It's bound to inspire others in our community to give this a go.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Xue
Finding My Feet

Re: @DIYgals nice work. 

Xue
Finding My Feet

Re: @StevieB How to reply to your message? It just post it at the bottom. No nested replies? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Xue,

We don't have nested replies here on Bunnings Workshop - just one discussion thread. If you'd like to address a particular member then please use the @ symbol and type their name just like you tagged Stevie in the post above. They will receive a notification alert that you have tagged them in the discussion.

Thanks and please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Caron
Making a Splash

Re: Barn-style door for backyard studio

Love the door! Thanks for all the pics as well - great inspiration and reference!

ChezzieG
Finding My Feet

Hi, you have done a beautiful job on the door.  I have a metal shed that I would love to transform into a garden studio and would love to have a door like the one you've made to replace the metal door already on it.

Can you please advise how you attached the wooden door to the metal frame.  Did you have to do any modifications to the existing opening where the metal door was?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ChezzieG. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @DIYgals, so they are alerted to your question and kind comments about their project.

What type of frame do you currently have on your shed, and is it designed for a lightweight door? You might like to share an image with us. The frame on the @DIYgals shed looks particularly substantial and appears like it might be a direct bolt-on situation.

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Ohhhhhh !!!!! This is great and look at the size of your shed 😊😊

Thanks @MitchellMc ,

Most of the shed frame is build out of galvanised C-Section, however the doors and windows are framed with RHS. We didn't specifically build a frame to hold a lightweight door. We are planning to build much larger doors on the on the front of the shed. The RHS is strong enough to hold a much greater weight, however there will be 4 hinges for the door to cope with the extra weight and leverage. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects