Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creating a workshop, need some power tool suggestions

zool3
Cultivating a Following

Creating a workshop, need some power tool suggestions

Hi All,

I'm looking at converting my double garage to a workshop (car will be outside when working as well). So I use to be a woodworking student 15 years ago before going to to white collar work but looking to get back into it and tools have changed/improved since.

I am wondering what tools I should buying. I have created a list have noticed I am mainly using ryobi/aeg due to their competitive prices and long warranty period, as well as going corded vs cordless. I am considering makita for some of the saws/jigsaw since their cheaper ones are quite affordable but not sure on durability.

I already own the ryobi cordless drill and impact driver kit.

Below is a list of wants. i have chosen based on functionality, and other buyer's review of the product. Please comment if I should get something else, corded vs cordless.

Mitre Saw: AEG 1800W 254mm Dual Bevel Slide Compound Mitre Saw 

Circular Saw: AEG 1200W 184mm Circular Saw 

Orbital Sander: AEG 300W 125mm Random Orbital Sander  or Ryobi 300W Random Orbital Sander

Jigsaw: AEG 700W Variable Speed Jigsaw  or Ryobi 600W 85mm Jigsaw

ShopVac: Ryobi 1500W 30L Wet and Dry Vacuum 

Will buy down the track: Comment if I should get it earlier

Brad Nailer: Ryobi cordless ones. Haven't done much research on which one to get

Drill Press: Ryobi model

Planner: Ryobi?

If I'm missing anything to get started please also let me know.

Thanks!!!!

zool3

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Creating a workshop, need some power tool suggestions

Hi JDE.

Yes, it would appear that Roybi has dispensed with the traditional induction motor fan to remove heat and gone with simple convection through "holes".

Just seems a perfect entry point for dirt and dust.

Cheers.

Ryobi's drill press motor from 2009....

20201121_115428.jpg20201121_104111.jpg

zool3
Cultivating a Following

Hi @r23on just want to clarify when you said "not go past for quality" - are you saying they're poorly built/not durable?

I guess I am willing to pay a bit extra knowing I can get extra years on them. It might be that Bunnings option from Ryobi/AEG (my list shows the affordable option) to the makita (trade quality, not for your everyday DIYer) is quite wide.

Hence it would be good to see what people recommend/used as I did ask for suggestions.

Timberme
Growing in Experience

M8 all I can say is do the majority of whAT YOU CAN WITH HAND TOOLS - YOU WILL SOON find what tools you can use and which you need power to it, I am not too keen on focusses on power tooling and remember a lot of the stuff I see on the net looks more like the flogger has a pecuniary interest OR the bloke is a flat out woody..  Watch out for over assessing the tools too, if you put off sssstart date you might end up another GUNNER and I met a few of them too.  I applaud your choice of a project as you have some limitations thrown in and my challenge to you is how about making the space do BOTH roles and make your space comfy and a "draw card" for you?

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Sorry for the delay in reply

When it comes to AEG, Makita and a few others "I will not go past them" as I have found them to be among the most reliable. I never buy the lower end tooling and believe we get what we pay for. As all ways we will buy what the pocket / wallet tells us.  As for the everyday DIYer Its a choice as to what they are willing to pay for.

When it come to battery driven or power lead they all have a place and how they are used. I know tradies who will only buy the lower end tool because the tools are missed use by their employees, stolen or add into the quote of the job then throw the tools way at the end of the job. I buy once and never look to replace the tool in a few week. Once a gain it's a choice. I hope I clarified this for you

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"I buy once and never look to replace the tool."

A glass of wine and attempting a mental bench-press, I wondered what the oldest 240 volt tool I have that's still working.

I'm going with my father's 1948 arc welder. A Schick brand - made in West Wyalong NSW.

The trolley is 1980's - it got too hard to lift with age.

Still going strong.Still going strong.

Kidbuilder
Growing in Experience

Aeg mitre saw, Makita circular saw corded, aeg jigsaw, the ryobi shop vac is bad, get an air nailer, ryobi drill press is not accurate and is not stable and the Ozito planer is nice  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects