Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cut hole in aluminium outdoor table

DanManc
Getting Established

Cut hole in aluminium outdoor table

Hi I need to cut a hole for my patio umbrella in the middle of my 6 seater aluminium outdoor table.  i need advice on what to use, how to use it and how to minimize any potential destructive methods.  Complete novice!

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Cut hole in aluminium outdoor table

You're probably looking for about a 50mm hole, right @DanManc? Grab a holesaw such as this one which is good for metal - there are others by Sutton which are good for aluminium (just ask your helpful Bunnings team member). 

This will be the easiest and cleanest way to cut the hole/circle. Then file the edges with a half-round for a clean and safe finish.

Before you decide on the size you cut - consider the size you need for the umbrella pole but also the sizes of rubber rings/grommets available at Bunnings or Clark Rubber maybe which you can fit into it to prevent the pole banging against the aluminium and scratching your umbrella pole.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I should've mentioned (which may be obvious anyway) to approach it slowly and pick up the drill speed as required. Too slow and it's not going to cut, but too fast and you may lose a bit of control upfront. Once the holesaw bites, you can ease your way through without any real concerns.

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks Pete.  Yep the pole is 38mm so a 50mm hole sounds about right.  Can you recommend a drill i could buy from Bunnings that would be powerful enough to do the job?  i don't want to spend too much as i'd only be using it rarely.

No worries @DanManc. If you rarely use power tools and/or have plans to start using them some more, you really only need to look at the Ozito range or you could spend a little bit more and go for a better quality brand in Ryobi, which also has a larger range of tools on the One+ battery system, so you'lll have more options/flexibility moving forward, especially if you get more of an itch for DIY and learning new skills 😉 It'd be a waste to start to cheap/basic only to find yourself upgrading as you get more interested/handy.

Importantly, once you pick your brand you want to stick with it so you can use the same battery/charger on all the power tools you subsequently buy.

A standard Drill Driver is going to allow you to complete general DIY type tasks. You could jump up to a Hammer Drill so you can do some heavier duty (masonry) work.

I personally use trade brands in Makita and DeWalt but would pick Ryobi over Ozito in your case.

----------
Handy and helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DanManc,

I thought I would stop by to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to see you've already received some helpful advice from the very knowledgeable @ProjectPete. I trust Pete has answered your questions but please do let us know if you need further assistance.

We look forward to hearing more about your projects around the house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know any time you need assistance or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration with the community as our amazing members are contributing their own projects here every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ok so I'm all set to cut the hole in the table. One last question to double check.  Obviously the best spot would be to drill in the dead centre of the table.  However, my concern is the table has a series of slats (aluminium as mentioned).  As a result to drill into the dead centre would be making a hole in the centre of one of the slats and my concern is that the hole will weaken the immediate area around it.  On videos I've noticed people tend to drill through the hole in the space between the slats (rendering two semi-circles either side) though on these video examples the middle happens to be at this point.  Any experience with this? And advice as to which would be best?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DanManc,

How wide and thick are the aluminium slats? Are the slats hollow? Whether the area around the hole is weakened would depend on how much material is left of the slat after you drill the hole in the middle of it. This could be solved by installing a brace either side of the hole under the table. The brace would run perpendicular to the slats and be fixed to the middle and two adjoining slats.

Alternatively, as you have mentioned you could drill in between the slats but it will be off centre.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Is the humble Bit & Brace dead and buried?

Can't see it being available on Bunning's website?

Unless your drill has a two-gear function, and assuming the slats are hollow thin aluminium, would it be worthwhile trying this?

With this set up I would try taking two semi-circle slices with the drill bit between the slats. And you can go as slow as you like. 😁

The hole saw illustrated is 38 mm diameter and a Sutton brand.

20201121_163244.jpg

Hmmmm....thinking this over a glass of wine...

Pre-drill or drill through a piece of wood with it clamped so that the hole-saw drill bit is between the slats and this way the hole-saw will not wander....

Scan0400.jpg

Or you've already made your hole - and I'm wasting drinking time mulling this over. 😏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects