Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @timothyleong. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question about our cutting service.

Unfortunately, we are unable to cut Specrite panels on our saws. This is due to their 33mm thickness and laminated construction.

An alternative option would be to complete the required cuts at home with a circular saw. This handy guide on getting to know your circular saw will be helpful.   

If cutting your panel at home is not an option, I'd suggest you speak with one of our helpful team members at your local store's Special Orders counter. The team can order custom-made benchtops in your required size and style.

Please let me know if you have more questions or need further assistance with your project.

Mitchell

Hi there thanks for the detailed reply! I will probably visit the special orders counter then. Thanks! 

Keep us updated on your project @timothyleong. If you can't get what you're after through Special Orders, our members will be more than happy to guide you through the cutting process at home. With the correct tools and accurate measurements, you'll have no issues making these cuts yourself.

Please reach out if you need further assistance. 

Mitchell

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Re: cutting easycraft panels

Hi Eric

I was at the Smithfield store today and asked if they would cut one 900 x 1200 VJ100 into three lengths as I did not have a circular saw and I was told they are not allowed to.

I was extremely disappointed and I am not sure whether to just attempt it with a hand saw?
Plus it would be nice to know why they can’t cut it!

Hi @Missskybird,

I'm sorry that we couldn't make those cuts for you in-store. Unlike the larger 2400 x 1200mm board mentioned above, you're looking to have quite a small board cut into three pieces. We have a minimum cut allowance of 300mm, which is in place to ensure the safety of our team members is maintained at all times whilst cutting and that they can safely secure the board whilst they do so. With such a small board, this is not possible on our machines.

If you were fixing architrave or moulding over your cut lines, it would be possible to use a handsaw. I'd encourage you to set up a straight edge to follow along with your saw to ensure a straight cut. Alternatively, if you are looking for a cleaner cut, I recommend you check out our range of circular saws. You might like to read our Best Advice article on What circular saw do you recommend?

Please let me know if you have further questions or need assistance with your project.

Mitchell

migg
Cultivating a Following

Use the selleys Instant Hold when putting it up - $15.90 but well worth it. I used 2 tubes for a 2.4m panel. Be sure you have it lined up cause once it’s on…it ain’t coming off!! 💪

Ilovebunnies
Finding My Feet

Can an External door be Cut down and do you offer this service in store?

Hi Team,

We need to replace our back door.  We are hoping to use the below product:

Hume 2040 x 820 x 35mm External Door Duracote Flush X1 - Bunnings Australia

Our measurements are 2015 x 820mm - 25mm smaller in height.

Wondering if these doors are okay to be cut down, and if so, can this be done in store?

Bunnings team members rock!

B

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can an External door be Cut down and do you offer this service in store?

Hello @Ilovebunnies

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cutting down your external door.

I'm so sorry but cutting down doors at the store is not a service that we offer. However, you do have two options when it comes to resizing the door. The first is to go to the special orders desk and ask them how much it will cost to order the door in the size you've indicated. It will cost a little bit more, but the advantage is that it will be professionally built and is covered under the manufacturer's warranty. 

The second method is to cut the door yourself with a circular saw. However, the person doing it should have the experience and knowledge to re-assemble the door should they cut too much off the framing of the door. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Re: Can an External door be Cut down and do you offer this service in store?

Thank you Eric for our super fast reply.  I'll chat to special orders.

STARWARS
Just Starting Out

Custom wood cutting - angled cuts

Hi,

I am aware that bunnings offers a cutting service however, are they able to do angled cuts? I need a specific wood piece to be 60 degrees. My school doesn't have the capability of doing so as our table saw (or other equivalent equipment) can only do as much as 45 degrees.

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects