Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: cutting plywood at new Sth kemsey store

@EricL 

Thanks for the reply, now I have question :smile: 

Can I use it without treating it? or heat from coffee mugs, or etc would easily affect the table? I am not a fan of glossy look , and rather have matte surface? the color aof Acaica is perfect as it is for me, so I wasnt planning on treating it but now that you said it I want to make sure if I can use it raw and if not if there is any option for matte look

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting H4 Treated Pine 100x50mm

Hello @WesBaker51

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cutting H4 treated pine. 

If you're cutting it to size, yes they cut it down if you want it shorter. But if you're asking can they rip cut it in the middle to split a 200mm x 50mm into a 100mm x 50mm, I'm sorry but they won't be able to do it. 

If you're really keen to cut the timber in half, you could use a circular saw to cut it. It all depends on how deep your cutting blade is. A standard 184 mm blade will cut 46mm maximum depth at 90 degrees. This means that you will have to turn the timber piece over to achieve a rip cut. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them. 

Eric

Re: cutting plywood at new Sth kemsey store

Hello @Former Workshop member

Yes, you can use the  2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel as-is with no painting necessary. Mind you I purchased the same top two years ago and it's held up pretty well. However, the area where my son does most of his work has been lightly worn down and is lighter in colour compared to the rest of the table. Personally, if I had a chance to seal it back then, I would have painted at least a single coat on it.

Since you've cut the top, the edges exposed are unsealed. I suggest using Feast Watson 250ml Matt Clear Varnish on the cut ends to make sure you don't get moisture damage or warped edges. You can test the Feast Watson Matt Clear Varnish in a small area under your desk and see if you like the finish. If you do, you can purchase a larger can to paint your table.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your table assembled.

Eric

WesternRed
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

I need to rip some 90 x 38 timber I'm going to buy into two lengths of 90 x 19mm, do you do these sort of lengthwise cuts? Thank you in advance

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hello @WesternRed

I'm sorry but the store saw can't do rip cuts into the timber. However, I recommend getting an XU1 1200W 185mm Circular Saw to accomplish your rip cuts. Even if you're only doing a few pieces, the XU1 will come in handy for those times when you need to cut timber. It's an excellent option especially if you don't want to damage your good saw.

If you want a superior cut, I suggest getting a more expensive cutting blade. You'll be surprised at how good it cuts, despite it being an affordable circular saw.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

napiers
Just Starting Out

Round table top

I am making 2 round bedside tables and need the timber cut into 37cm diameter size...would bunnings be able to do this for me?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Round table top

Welcome @napiers, it's great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community.

Check out @MitchellMc's post Does Bunnings cut timber to size? He shares that Bunnings can cut long lengths of timber down to size or cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections.

Have you thought about using a pre-cut round timber panel such as this SpecRite 600mm 26mm Round Timber Panel Merbau FJ Laminated? It's a bit smaller than you planned for your bedside tables.

Our resident D.I.Y. experts @MitchellMc and @EricL will be happy to help with any project or tool questions when they're back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @r23on and @TedBear for their thoughts in the meantime.

Stevie

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Round table top

From what I have seen Bunnings do not cut round disk but are ordered in as a special There are 3 ways in which you can do the job yourself if you have the tools

1 use a router with a pivot attachment to cut the circle (circle cutting attachment) eg https://www.timbecon.com.au/milescraft-small-circle-router-guide-kit 

2. a band saw with a circle cutting attachment

or a jig saw with a pivot attachment (circle cutting attachment)

Ramazees
Just Starting Out

In House cutting service

Does anyone know if I can get a 2400mm x1200mm Plywood Sheet cut into 4 X 600mm strips in the shop

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: In House cutting service

Welcome @Ramazees.

Bunnings can cut long lengths of timber down to size or cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections. Check out @MitchellMc's Does Bunnings cut wood to size? for more info and @MitchellMc will be happy to answer any questions when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects