Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Treated pine 200 x 100 sleeper

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @J1992. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our timber-cutting service.

We are able to cut treated Pine sleepers. It would be best to visit the store at a quieter time, like a weekday, so that we can attend to your required cutting promptly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

poby
Just Starting Out

If I buy a 2400 x 295mm 16mm Melamine Particleboard ABS White and the store offers a cutting service, how accurate is the cutting?  I would like it cut into 3 pieces:

692 x 295

848 x 295

790 x 282

I understand I will need to do a bit of sanding but my question is will the cut be square and accurate?  e.g. 692 rather than 691 or 693.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hello @poby 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

I'm sorry but the shop saw is not built to do precision cutting. It's built to cut large pieces down so that you can load it into your vehicle and do the proper cuts at home. Unfortunately, the blade of the shop saw is big and rough and will leave a very rugged cut on your melamine panel. 

Ideally, you want a saw blade with a large number of teeth so that you have a smooth finish on the melamine edge. I recommend having a look at our best advice - What circular saw do you recommend? 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jannine511
Just Starting Out

Do Bunnings cut MDF ?

Do bunnings cut MDF into 100mm strips if I purchace the MDF sheet in store ? 

Re: Do Bunnings cut MDF ?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jannine511. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our timber-cutting service.

It would depend on the size of the sheet you started with and which side you wanted the strips taken from. Once the sheet gets down to a certain size, we'd no longer be able to take strips of it as it would be below our minimum size safety requirements for sheets. The service is for cutting sheets down for ease of transport, so if you were after a whole board cut into strips, it would be best to discuss your need with the saw operator in-store.

Mitchell

diyproject2023
Just Starting Out

backdrop

EE9848F0-756D-4B79-BD7F-FDCE109C404C.png

 hi I want to make backdrop like this one would bunning be able to cut it round shape for me 

Re: backdrop

Hello @diyproject2023 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a backdrop.

I'm sorry but the shop saws only do straight cuts. However, you can build something similar with regular hand tools, I suggest having a look at these discussions -How to build freestanding walls for hanging pictures? by @LeahBlacker and How to build this wooden sign holder? by @Dxo.

You can modify the projects to the size that you need. You can also use easy to cut materials such as Styrofoam in combination with the timber structure if your keen to make the arch.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Virgil73
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Does the cutting service include FC panels?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Virgil73. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our cutting service.

We don't cut any fibre cement products in-store. A score and snap knife can be used for cuts in sheeting products up to 9mm. You'd need to use a saw fitted with a HardieBlade and connected to an M-class vacuum for thicker boards. Here is the James Hardie best practices guide for more information. Remember your PPE, including gloves, a respirator and safety glasses.

Mitchell

laurasculptor
Just Starting Out

cutting wood

Can someone please tell me how do you cut the wood at Bunnings. Do I bring in a drawing of what size pieces of wood I want cut with the dimensions? Can I make my drawing in a digital program then bring a printed picture of what I want with measurements? 

if anyone has used the service before and can suggest how they went about getting the wood cut, that would be very helpful. Thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects