Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Plywood to size

Thank you Eric.  Really helpful.

jennifer

DamianB
Just Starting Out

Wood Boards to Specific Cuts

I require the following pieces of wood, to the specific dimensions:

Plank 1

Length: 22 inches

Width: 13 inches

Height: 5 inches

Plank 2

Length: 26 inches

Width: 14 inches

Plank 3 (x2)

Length: 19 inches

Width: 2.5 inches

I only require the most inexpensive wood you have like Pine and I was wondering if Bunnings provides wood/timber to specific cuts and how much it would cost.

Kind Regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wood Boards to Specific Cuts

Hello @DamianB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Can you please tell us what the timber pieces are being used for? Are they for steps or will they be used to support a large amount of weight? Due to the timber thickness you're after, I'm afraid the only way to achieve it is to sandwich large timber panels together and cut it down to the size that you need.

I'm sorry but the store does not provide that assembly service and cutting such large pieces on the panel saw is not possible. 

However, building it as a timber frame and covering it up with pine panels would be possible. But it all depends on what are using it for. I've turned the measurements you need into millimetres and have drawn a quick sketch of their sizes.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Ashleigh96
Just Starting Out

Timber cutting

Will Bunnings cut the arch for me and the CM wide and high I require, even do a  Arche that I can sand to exact shape.

145cm HIGH

70cm WIDE

sign.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber cutting

Hello @Ashleigh96 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

I'm sorry but the shop saws only do straight cuts and are not capable of doing round cuts. 

However, it is possible to cut the timber using a Jigsaw or a Coping Saw. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to choose the right power saw for the job by @Adam_W.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

NelleS
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Can you cut 3mm MDF board into 6cm and 12cm wide strips (intended for use to make shaker style doors)? I've seen many posts on Facebook advising that Bunnings will and have done this however my local store advised this cannot be done?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NelleS. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our cutting service.

Typically, cutting thin strips off a larger board is something we would avoid as it's not a particularly safe practice. We can certainly cut a larger board down to size, but multiple thin strips would be a task that needs to be assessed by the saw operator to determine whether they could do it safely. I'd certainly encourage you to ask to speak with a manager at the store, and they'll be able to explain our policies and procedures regarding your request.

My suggestion would be to consider purchasing a circular and completing those detailed cuts at home. You should find these guides useful: The D.I.Y. guide to circular saws and How to choose a circular saw. The other option would be to use 11mm MDF timber trims for your shaker-style door.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Thanks

Can I ask the cutting for Kitchen Bench top in Bunnings? Of course, I will pay for the Kitchen bench top first if necessary before cutting

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Hi @Honest52,

If you were after a cut-to-size or custom-made kitchen benchtop, that would need to be done by the manufacturer. If you place an enquiry with your nearest store's Special Orders desk they can provide a quote on the benchtop. 

Our saws are designed to cut panels down to size, and a kitchen benchtop can be damaged during the process. It's best to have that sort of cutting done by the manufacturer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

becka1
Getting Established

Bamboo benchtop sectional cutting service

Purchasing a timber bench top from Bunnings and need it cut to suit a laundry/vanity reno as below. Can Bunnings cut this for me?

becka1_0-1710982222183.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects