Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

From old shed to funky studio

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

From old shed to funky studio

7.jpgI was organising my photos over the weekend and stumbed across our shots for a project at our old inner city house.

When we bought it, there was a grungy old brick shed in the small paved backyard that had an outdoor loo and climber all over it.

It was dark and dingy with broken windows and a broken door.

It was even pretty useless as a storage shed as the roof leaked - it just had various bits of old unsecured tin (and even bits of cardboard!) as a roof. Here's what it looked like:

OLDSHED.jpgOLDSHED1.jpg

We wanted to use it as a backyard studio/office space so wanted to make it a lot lighter and more pleasant inside, add a sink and some storage space.

First we opened up the front so we could install some sliding doors.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Then we added a pitched roof to make things more spacious inside. A pitched roof would also allow us to have a loft-style storage space over the separate toilet.

3.jpg

4.jpg

After painting the bricks and adding a few finishing touches like simple curtains we were really happy with the finished result. It was a very cheap transformation but really increased the value of the house for us (and hopefully the future owners, too).

In inner-city places space is always at a premium so it was great to have a large and separate home office. It was also a space that was very cool in summer and easy to warm in winter.  

7.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: From old shed to funky studio

Quite the makeover - awesome job!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Benskimo
Making a Splash

Nice one! Opening up the side with glass and sliding door is a piece of minor genius. It looks like you used some of the old bricks as a step in front of the sliding glass door, which is a nice touch too.

2Belindas
Making a Splash

Yes awesome job

Creating a beautiful home on a budget
Shane
Having an Impact

Having the high pitched roof on a relatively small structure was a great move to make it feel more spacious and add storage room. Good job.

Janina_G
Having an Impact

This looks better than mine, and mine is corragated iron,,  So that will be fun when we get round it it.  Yours looks great :smile:

broozer
Finding My Feet

You did a great job.  Come round and fix up my shed now if you like.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Perhaps you'd like to share a few photos of your shed @broozer. I'm sure the community would be happy to provide some suggestions on how to improve it. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. I hope you find plenty of great advice, inspiration and information on the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Awesome job Kermit, there's much to love about what you did.
Transforming an eyesore into something purposeful & enjoyable, is a guaranteed home run, & you knocked it outta the park.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Good story on a lovely studio a bloke built for just $3200 using recycled materials. 

Built of a slow build though - three years!

https://www.domain.com.au/living/the-art-of-the-slow-build-how-one-man-built-his-wife-a-writing-stud...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects