Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you hang guttering from corrugated metal roof?

jake118822
Just Starting Out

How do you hang guttering from corrugated metal roof?

I want to put up guttering around the sheds in my garden to collect rainwater to go into IBSc.

The shed roofs are 3m in length but the corrugated metal roof overhangs by about 30cm so there's no fascia to screw the guttering clips into. 

Does anyone know of a way to attach guttering to corrugated metal roofs so that they have a fall on them?

The photos attached show 1 shed that I want to put guttering on and 1 shed that I want to replace the "dodgy job" the previous owner had done. 

All have the issue of corrugated iron roofs but no facia.

20231025_171037.jpg

20231025_171103.jpg

20231025_174055.jpg

20231025_170948.jpg

Cheers

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do you hang guttering from corrugated metal roof?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @jake118822. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to assisting you with your D.I.Y. projects around your home and garden.

Thanks for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back online tomorrow and will be happy to assist. Let me also tag @TedBear@Dave-1 and @tom_builds for their advice in the meantime. 

While waiting, are you able to provide photos of your shed roofs as well as the guttering you wish to hang? This will help our members get a better understanding of what is required and they can provide more tailored advice. 

A note to be careful if you're using a ladder to take photos of your shed roofs. Check out our guide How to use ladders safely for handy tips. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @jake118822 

Welcome to the coommunity, hopefully you will find the anser in here :smile:

No Facia, yeah I have that problem on my pool deck (Which I built so the fault is mine lol) 

Easy solution I hope for you. Can you see where the support beams of the roof come out? If you can you can bolt/attach lengths of timber to extend the beam out and then install a facia on the end and attach the gutter to it. Once we have some pics we may be able to suggest some other ideas. :smile:

If there is no battens or trusses to support the tin roofs you could potentially "fake it" by installing short lengths (25cm ish) under the edge and screw them to the corrorgated roof from the high points of the sheet (in two places so they lock in place). That way you will make the edge ridged and have a place to attach a facia to.

The gutter itself needs to have a slight fall towards the downpipe area is something to keep in mind once you have a new facia of some kind.

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jake118822 ,

Only thing I can think of right now is to pop rivet some galavanised angle to the gutter's back, then attach that under the end of the corrugated roofing. (The steel angle would act like a small facia.)

Then add some normal gutter brackets to support it.  You could build in end to end fall when attaching the angle to the gutter.

Possibly suitable angle:-

https://www.bunnings.com.au/australian-handyman-supplies-40-x-40-x-1-15mm-x-2-4m-galvanised-pressed-...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jake118822 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to hang a gutter on a corrugated metal roof.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1 and @TedBear. I'm in total agreement with their recommendations, just to add to the solutions offered, I suggest using Carinya 20 x 200 x 2mm Flat Make-A-Bracket - single. This bracket can be bent to almost any angle and is strong enough to hold a fair amount of weight. 

When used as a set, it should be able to hold the facia and your gutter with relative ease.

Please make sure to use personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects