Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a wall anchor for boxing bag

Johnson
Growing in Experience

How to choose a wall anchor for boxing bag

I plan to hang a boxing bag with the wall bracket (see link below) on a 70s yellow brick wall in my garage. It does not come with any wall plug or installation guide. The diameter of the hole on the bracket is 9mm.

The covid lockdown left me no choice to seek help in store but buying online directly. When I'm searching the size of the wall plug or wall anchor etc, I'm getting confused on the size. How do I know the diameter of the head and body of an item (e.g. Macsim Fasteners 8 x 65mm Zinc Sleeve Anchor or Ramset 10 x 80mm Ultra-Long Hex Galvanised Anchor RamPlug)?

Any suggestions on possible choices (including the appropriate drill bits) are greatly appreciated! 

https://decathlon.com.au/products/punch-bag-wall-bracket?variant=30913158053999

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose a wall anchor for boxing bag

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Johnson. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for the question about fixing your boxing bag.

We've covered this style of boxing bag hanger before in the discussion Wall mounting 50kg boxing bag. The consensus was that this style of counter-levered bracket puts an incredible amount of stress on the bricks, especially due to the continuous high impact shocks. Another member which had just completed a similar installation recommended the inclusion of a spring to counteract some of the shock being transferred directly to the fixings.

One of our expert members recommended Ramset 8 x 75mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor and Ramset 750ml ChemSet 101 Masonry Anchoring Adhesive Cartridge.

In answer to your question, if you are looking to fix directly into the brickwork without chemical adhesive, we have the Ramset 10 x 100mm DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt. That has a 10mm sleeve and requires a Kango 10 x 200mm Straight Shank Masonry Bit. The internal thread on that Dynabolt is 8mm and should suit your fixing size hole of 9mm. Its head is larger than your fixings hole size, around 12mm. My only concern with this approach is whether your bricks have holes in them (sleeved anchors don't grip well) and that over time, with these impacts, the bricks will deteriorate and the Dynabolts could pull out. My preference is to use both a chemical and mechanical bond.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Johnson
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc!

This is super useful! I also like the idea of putting a spring to reduce the impact. 

A bit more detail about my project:
In my case the mount is a bit smaller -- it is 61cm away from the wall (rather than 90cm), of the same vertical length (40cm), and with two wider horizontal "arms" to fix on the wall (each of 40cm with 4 holes). 
The bag to hung is 45kg and 150cm long.

I put my order last night (I should have waited for your absolutely amazing and detailed answer!), containing the following:

- masonry bit set (just in case if more projects to be done in the future). 
  https://www.bunnings.com.au/kango-10-piece-masonry-set-with-modular-case_p6350896

- Ozito hammer drill, https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-18v-hammer-drill-skin-only_p0124076
- Sleeve Anchor MACSIM 8X65MM, https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-fasteners-8-x-65mm-zinc-sleeve-anchor-25-pack_p2260362 

Looking at what I ordered, will this work? Or maybe I should cancel my order and get the recommended one (Ramset 10 x 100mm DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt with Kango 10 x 200mm Straight Shank Masonry Bit)? I'm not sure if the bricks have holes (photo attached, but it may not tell much). However, the wall is only about 100mm thick, would the 10mm DynaBolt be too long for it?

lP3G6zGK.jpeg

Many thanks! 

Cheers

Johnson

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Johnson,

What you have ordered should work. However, those bricks likely have holes in them, and I would prefer to see you squirt some Ramset 750ml ChemSet 101 Masonry Anchoring Adhesive Cartridge in the holes before inserting the Dynabolts. The additional chemical connection is just an investment in your own safety. It's that repetitive shock that I'm concerned about, as it can tend to dislodge and pull out Dynabolts. Every time you hit that bag, the hanger is trying to pull the top Dynabolts out. If this were just a static shelf holding 45kg of weight, I wouldn't be concerned about just using Dynabolts.

If you did cancel your order, I'd suggest you go for Ramset 8 x 75mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor and Ramset 750ml ChemSet 101 Masonry Anchoring Adhesive Cartridge.

Mitchell

Johnson
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks! I couldn't see any way to cancel my order online. I will put a new order on the two recommended items and get refund when possible, probably when the lockdown is lifted (hopefully not too far away) :smile:

Cheers

Johnson

Johnson
Growing in Experience

Hey @MitchellMc 

Sorry to bother you again! Just to confirm: 

For the Ramset 8 x 75mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor,  do I need any wallplug or would it work w/o a wallplug?

Are the following steps right? (Assuming wall plug is not needed)
1. drilling a 75mm deep hole using a 8mm dill bit.
2. squirt Ramset ChemSet in the holes (requiring a gun like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-skeleton-caulking-gun_p1670517); 
3. immediately after squirting the ChemSet, insert Ramset 8 x 75mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor into the bracket and then insert it into the hole;

4. wait to dry.

Cheers

Johnson

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No bother at all, @Johnson. It's what I'm here for!

No plug is required for the Ramset 8 x 75mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor.

Those steps sound correct. Makes sure you at least half fill the holes with Chemset. You'll want to make sure once the Ankascrew is tightened, all the bricks' internal voids are filled. Bear in mind, you will have to screw the AnkaScrew into the wall; it doesn't just push in. If you feel resistance, back it off one turn and then tighten again. It will cut its way into the brick. 

Let me know if there is anything else or you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects