Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert shed to mancave?

jaclynmarriott
Finding My Feet

How to convert shed to mancave?

Super excited to have just bought our first house! With this purchase came a massive 5m x 10m double story shed at the rear of the property which we are hoping to turn into the ultimate man cave - but we know it’s a big (massive) job. Just wanting some advice on where to start and the best way to get this done. (Image shows the mezzanine level) 

IMG_6773.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: From Shed to Mancave

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jaclynmarriott. It's marvellous to have you join us, and congratulations on purchasing your first home.

I'm sure you've got plenty of exciting plans in the works, just like this ultimate mancave. Letting our members know a little about how you'll be using the space and what you'd like to achieve here will allow our members to make informed responses. For some, add a few tools and a workbench, and it's already the ultimate mancave. For others, they might want to insulate and plaster the walls with full weatherproofing. What do you intend to use the space for? Perhaps sketching out your idea on a plan might assist. Once we know what you'd like to create in this space, I can point you in the right direction and to some guides that will assist.

You might like to check out this discussion for some inspiration: Show off your mancave

I'll be looking forward to more details.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jaclynmarriott. I'm sure you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around your new home from our clever and creative members.

Here's some projects that might give you some ideas on how to use this space:

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans and assisting you to realise the dream.

Jason

I guess thats the fun of building it! We really don't know where this build will take us!

At the moment, our main plan is to make the space more functional for day to day use. So add insulation, dry wall, fix up the lighting, and flooring first before we bring all the fun stuff into it. How do I go about acquiring pros for this sort of thing?

Thanks Jason!

Hi @jaclynmarriott 

What a beautiful opportunity to turn your double story shed into your rest and relaxation space. Before you start looking for professionals, I suggest drawing up a plan with pen and paper. Insulating and plastering is a good start but it's best to find out if the shed is watertight first.   

You can either wait for the next bit of rain to pass by your area so that you can see if there are any leaks in the roof or walls. Or you can use your garden hose to test the roof of the shed. Either way you'll see if there are any leaks. Once you find the leaks you can then repair them.

My first suggestion is to empty out the space to give you a blank canvas. You can then write down a wish list on what you would like this space to be. Don't hold back on your wish list because at this point, we are exploring the possibilities. 

From that wish list you can then start to narrow it down to what can be achieved and the kind of budget you would like to put aside for this project. I'll stop at this point as I don't want to overwhelm you with information.

Once you have your list, I propose sharing it with the community and any questions you might have. Our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information for your project.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects