Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose a carport?

Tenille14
Finding My Feet

How to enclose a carport?

Just wondering on suggestions on how to best encolse the side of our carport.

Thanks

20230616_175441.jpg

20230616_175450.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enclose 1 side of carport

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tenille14. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about enclosing a carport.

What were the reasons for wanting to enclose the carport? Was it just to prevent rain from coming in, or were you looking for a solid wall? To prevent rain, fixing some polycarbonate roof sheets from just under the gutter to the top of the fence would be a solution. It would likely be best to check with your neighbour to see if they were happy with this arrangement, as the water captured by the sheets will probably end up on their side. Alternatively, you could make those sheets finish just below the top of the fence so the water falls on your side. Attaching the sheets in the sloped position can easily be done if you install a couple of timber batons along the fence line and roof.

Alternatively, you can run timber horizontally between the carport's posts. This will allow you to fix the sheeting off in a vertical position, creating a wall from the sheeting. I've recently done this to my carport, and it worked exceptionally well to keep the weather out and add privacy.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members, @TedBear, @Dave-1 and @MrSober, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Tenille14 

Yeah I like @MitchellMc 's questions also :smile: When you say "enclosed" is it the side against the fence or potentially all around the carport? At the moment I love slats lol I seem to be putting them up everywhere at home. You could put a post between your metal supports and run some slats horizontaly. Not sure if you want to soften the side f the fnce or protect from rain? If you wnat to make a fance outdside area then how about the large shadow rectangles made of recyled plastic with shapes cut in them? Like this Screen panel 

The second thought is if you put a screen up you will loose around 200mm and potentially make it harder to open your car doors? 

And my brain is off on a tangent... I never use my garage or carpot as a garage or carport lol Tho now I want a workshop! Looking forward to claification from you.

Dave

MrSober
Building a Reputation

Guess it all depends how solid of a structure you want?

If you just want to block out the gap from rain coming in you could just attached some roof panels like suggested to stop it coming in, might need some sort of drainage for the water that may then pool down the side of the fence and slab?

You could also build some frames and attach on the outside of those posts and attach something like weater-tex (https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=weathertex&sort=BoostOrder&page=1) boards on the outside.

What does the other side look like?? is it also open or is it inclosed?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to enclose a carport?

Hi @Tenille14,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members. 

Great to see you already receive several helpful responses. You might also get ideas and inspiration from these previous Workshop discussions:

Hope that helps further. We look forward to reading more about your project and assisting further. 

Jason

Thanks for the reply. 

We are wanting to put a solid wall in to prevent rain (and the neighbours roses falling into the carport) but to also enclose to create an entertainment area! 

We were thinking of doing the timber between posts and then attaching the sheets. Any chance you could share a picture of what you have done?

Thanks 

Thanks @Dave-1 for the reply. We are just wanting to enclose 1 side, to be able to create an outdoor entertainment area, with protection from the elements We! We also do not use our carport for our cars 🤦‍♀️

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Tenille14 

Id suggest the slats then. Id put in two more posts top to bottom between each of the metal posts. Fasten them with a stirrup to the ground and straight to the metal support at the roof. Attach some tiber posts to the metal posts. That way it will give you something to screw the timber slats to. You will need to give a small gap between the slats as they do bend with the weather. But privacy wise it will work and will stop most of the rain and wind. 

Hope the idea helps.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tenille14 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at this discussion - Alfresco wall for privacy and weather protection by @Baggs. The discussion shows an excellent example of how you can build a proper cover for the side of your structure. This is on the condition that you want to take it to the next stage of creating a more permanent structure on the side of your carport.

Just in case you are curious as to what is involved, I've placed some handy guides below:

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your enclosure project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects