Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose carport?

azza0712
Getting Established

How to enclose carport?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to enclose my carport, turn it in to garage keep the car away from the elements, as well as extra storage space. As you see it is right against the fence. 

Any suggestions ?

219A696B-0ABA-479C-94AB-FA10398940C6.jpeg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to enclose carport?

Hi @azza0712 welcome to Workshop great place to come and ask questions just like this.

First off I suggest checking with local council regulations as some councils will not allow a carport to be fully enclosed and convertered to an enclosed dwelling. The usual approach is to install timber, hybrid or aluminium slates to the sides with gaps between the slates once again check with local regulations.

If you do get indication to enclose you may have to engage a draft person, submit application and plans to council, and have a certifier sign it off.

Other than all that enclosing can be done in many ways from timber frame with cement sheeting that is rendered, brick walls, block walls rendered. 

I think first thing first find out where you stand and what direction you need to go.

Carl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @azza0712

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about enclosing your carport.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @CSParnell. I agree with his recommendation, it's important to find out the rules and regulations of your local council before you start your build. The last thing you want to happen is to get a letter saying you have to take it down. 

If you are after a fully sealed wall, I suggest building a stud frame and cladding it. You can then be sure that whatever you store in the garage will be very protected. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @CSParnell , very helpful. I am looking for the cost effective ways get it done. I think maybe stud + cladding, correct me if I am wrong. 
Thanks mate 

azza0712
Getting Established

@EricL  thank you so much. Looking forward hearing from them. 
Ta

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @azza0712,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. You might also get some ideas and inspiration from this previous Workshop discussions:

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @azza0712,

What I would do, with the grace of your neighbours, is install vertical droppers from the roof to the fence and install something like Clear-lite/Vistalite cut to fit between the two.

Install cross-members to make sure it's all well supported, if necessary.

This will give you the same amount of light available, enclose this area and shield it from any prevailing winds.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @CSParnell,

Carl,
I don't think this could be construed as "enclosing the rear part of a car-port" as making a dwelling where people will live?

I could be wrong, but I've seen stranger things.

Cheers,

Mike T.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Different rules per state per country you need to check local regulations unfortunately before committing to a big project like that in my opinion.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @azza0712 

Any suggestions ?

For me I'd use corrugated iron - well, I know I would, cause I did it.  😁

G'day @MikeTNZ 

"What I would do, with the grace of your neighbours is install vertical droppers from the roof to the fence"

That's a very interesting topic Mike. When we bought our house there was a semi-dilapidated pergola out the back with wood members that stretched to the boundary fence. My assumption was if our solicitor OK'd the property - then everything was above board. Covering this was very ugly plastic shade 'cloth' over an equally ugly fern area.

Years later I ripped up the ferns and laid concrete. With that done my thoughts turned to removing the shade cloth and covering in the whole area.

So I discussed my thoughts with my neighbours and they were happy for me put corrugated iron over this section - so I did. Now a weatherproof storage area.

20220831_091435.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects