Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a large gap between roof and exterior wall?

Denaz
Growing in Experience

How to fill a large gap between roof and exterior wall?

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice, I've spent days looking through google and am at a loss.

The house we bought had a outdoor room/shed added on to the porch, just an extension really. They basically just added in two walls and called it a shed. The issue is that they have left a gap between the newly installed walls and the tiled roof (about 18cm) and I can't figure out the best way to fill it.

Doesn't need to be fancy, as it is being used as a shed but just something that will keep the dust, wind and weather out. Am not expecting it to be 100% sealed, just enough to keep out dust and anything that the wind might push up under eaves. As the eaves are hanging down on the opposite side of the wall, not a lot comes through, but on windy days the dust comes straight in and I'm imagining the rain will also when we get some gusty storms.

I was thinking of just stuffing some Earthwool Insulation up there as I just can't think of anything else that's simple and easy.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks!

qtzormoxqzrc1.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a large gap between roof and exterior wall?

Hi @Denaz,

I tend to agree with @Dave-1 that you should persevere and use the screws. Liquid Nails is an adhesive, so its strength depends on the surface preparation and the type of materials being bonded. In general, screws provide a more reliable and durable hold, especially in applications where significant weight or stress is involved.

If you are struggling because of the hardness of the timber, you should certainly be predrilling pilot holes, as hardwood, especially older stuff that's had a long time to dry out, is extremely hard and will snap your screws.

If you are struggling because of the angle, you might like to try using a Ryobi 2-Piece Right Angle Drill Adaptor to get into those tighter spaces.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Denaz 

Just thought of a little trick a Bunnings staff member taught me, screws going into hardwood, even predrilled hardwood can be made easier running the screw shaft over a bar of soap filling at least half the thread with soap. Then using a torqued drill to screw them in. I did this with my hardwood decking into hardwood beams and it worked a treat. I had also made the mistake of using the impact driver as I wasnt thinking that particular day and I kept shearing off the screws, Using the Torqued driver at maybe two notches back from the highest setting to start with (then change if needed) Yes I did call myself some silly names after we worked out why my screws wear snapping :smile:

Dave

Denaz
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Dave-1 and @JacobZ , really do appreciate the replies! 

I will keep going then! I guess I was also a little concerned in damaging the roof beams and causing a split or something major like that. I assume that predrilling the holes would prevent that? Last thing I need is to have to replace those big beams haha

And @JacobZ I actually just bought a right angle adaptor... although it may have been the cheaper craftright option lol

Thanks again! 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Denaz 

Yeah predrilling the holes is a wise move (2 sizes smaller usually) tho this tool is gold! Sutton Tools Ezi Sizer Gauge as it will show you the corrosponding size to the screw you are using. I had one years ago when I was an apprentice and just muddled my way through until a year or so back when I was "yacking" to a Bunnings tool person and they showed me the drill gauge on a string on the wall lol I asked by any chance do you guys sell them and their reply with a smile was "Yep, let me show you" lol Felt like a kid at a birthday party.

Cheaper works btw, I love my ozitio tools and craftright ones, They do the job and keep on working.

Dave

Denaz
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Dave-1 , really do appreciate the help! 

I will get stuck into it this weekend and hopefully it all turns out! 

Just paranoid with the timber beams as the house is very old, so wanting to be as careful as I can and not create any more problems. The pre drilling gives me a bit more confidence that I won't split the beams or break the screws though. I put up some camera not long ago and did not predrill... and that was a difficult process to say the least lol

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Denaz 

Practice on a part of the beam you cant see so easily maybe? Its what i would do. Once you have the steps in your mind it will flow.

If you are worried about splitting the timber, try and stay at least 10mm from the edge of the timber (if not 15mm) It lessons the chance is all.

and always "soap the screws" :smile:

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Evening @Denaz 

"Am not expecting it to be 100% sealed, just enough to keep out dust and anything that the wind might push up under eaves."

Same here. Under a carport and a back verandah area. Not a perfect seal - but enough to reduce cold wind (like a night tonight) and support battens under the carport.

All done with treated scrap wood and Selleys Rapid Cure Ultimate Strength glue.

Those small vertical windows with light shining through under the carport job - are hand spaces for my fat hands so I could perfectly position the pieces.  😊

Thought of covering them later - but decided against it. Both areas were done about seven years ago.

Cheers.

20240523_163302.jpg

20240523_163217.jpg

Denaz
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Dave-1 

It's not so much the look that I'm worried about, just damaging something so big and structurally important haha

Will definitely try and keep the holes as close to the centre of the beams as I can. 

Will definitely take the advice on soaping the screws... I really wish I'd known that tip when I put the cameras up! 🤣

Denaz
Growing in Experience

@Noyade I totally missed your reply sorry! That looks great and good to know about the glue too. I ended up going with the brackets but I tell you, my poor hands copped a beating! Going to be pulling out a couple of splinters tonight 🤣

Thanks again @Dave-1 , @JacobZ and @EricL , I stuck with it and finally got it done! It was a pain in the backside that's for sure, a couple of beams turned out to be a bit warped so getting to timber the right size was tough. The right angle drill adapter really came through though, made things a lot easier. 

Anyways, bit of paint and a bit of spray foam for the gaps and it's pretty much done🥳

1000010525.jpg

1000010524.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Denaz 

:laugh: Love it! Splinters tonight yeah but every time you look at it "oh yeah I did that!" will echo in your mind :laugh: 

One problem solved and solved by you! Its a good night!

So next issue? :smile: I cant remember what your next step is lol

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects