Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix crack on my car door's interior?

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

How to fix crack on my car door's interior?

IMG_6259.jpeg

Hello, after my car was repaired at the crash shop, the door must not have been put back properly and it’s resulted in a crack.

Ive tried super glue and hot glue (yes, lesson learnt) and nothing seems to hold it. Is there something else I can try?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: glue for plastic

Hi @Newbie-,

The best type of glue would be a super glue designed for plastics that come with a primer like Selleys 3ml Power Grip All Plastics Glue. However, this glue only works well if the pieces fit back together perfectly with no gaps, and you'll still be able to see the damage. Given the extent of the damage, I'd suggest the best option would be to replace the whole unit, including the buttons. Many aftermarket car parts can be found online at a reasonable price. It could be as simple as removing the control panel and installing the new one.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Morning @Newbie- 

"the door must not have been put back properly"

Would it be worth going back to the panel-beater/repairer with this concern? Or, now since you attempted the repair yourself, would there be no warranty?

The last time I took my car to the panel-beaters for a quote, the proprietor looked at me sternly and asked "how much do ya love your car?"

Well, I don't love cars and am always looking at novel ways to repair the bodywork and interior. I think, as you've already discovered, hot glue is a fairly poor glue in general - especially with plastics, from my experience.

Aesthetically - it depends on how much you love your car - it won't look good, but I would try an expanding polyurethane glue, then trim and colour with a permanent marker.

I have had great success with bathroom or exterior silicone - especially for the exterior bodywork - I know, it doesn't look good but it produces a strong permanent bond. And waterproof.

Your interior plastic even looks like Woodland Grey. 😁

I remember the central console window control of our old 1989 Fairlane failed - and Ford wanted $600 for a replacement - and that was 1996. So I'm interested how much your unit would be.

Please show/tell us how you get on.

Ugly but Strong.Ugly but Strong.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

This is polyurethane glue. Plastic to plastic.

A cheap shop/vac fell over and shattered the very thin plastic lid rim. I cut a strip of plastic from a newsagent magazine holder and glued it in place with clothes pegs to hold the position. The glue expands as it dries and this is trimmed off with a utility knife. Sprayed with matt black.

Not pretty - but very strong. The area is now stronger than the original.

Just an example as to how good this glue is. Bunnings supply it.

Cheers again.

Length as indicated.Length as indicated.

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Thank you. I’ve tried this glue and it seemed the easiest option. So far it’s holding. Fingers crossed it survives when summer comes along!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects