Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace Ozito mitre saw safety guard?

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

How to replace Ozito mitre saw safety guard?

I have an Ozito Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, model SCMS-2125, which I bought a year or so BC (Before Covid), so it is sadly out of warranty. I was using it to cut some timber last weekend when a piece of timber broke off and got thrown by the blade. Fortunately the broken piece flew away from me, unfortunately it smashed violently into a black plastic guard that sits just ahead of the blade and destroyed it completely. All that is left is a small plastic fragment and the two mounting screws, one of which is now severely deformed!

I need to replace this part as I'm guessing it is safety related and Ozito would not have fitted it if it wasn't needed. However, I have searched the Ozito website for a parts diagram, the part and/or part number without success. I telephoned their help team, who helpfully directed me to Bunning's Special Orders process. My local Bunnings store lodged the job and were eventually informed this part is not available as a spare. This is weird since the saw is still listed as a current model and it is a safety item, however I can't force them to supply it... so I need to make a replacement. The thing is, this is not a part of the saw I have ever really examined, so I have no idea what it should look like or its dimensions, nor do I remember if it slotted inside or outside the clear-plastic, pivoting "clamshell" cover when the saw is raised.

My hope and request is that someone on this forum has the same model of saw, complete with an intact guard, and would be willing to take it off their machine to grab some photographs and measurements for me.

I have attached some photographs to indicate where this part fits to help the identification process, IMG_1082.JPGIMG_1084.JPGIMG_1087.jpgIMG_1088.jpgok, here's hoping.

John

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace Ozito mitre saw safety guard?

Hi @VulcanJohn 

I've done a bit of research for you and the closest diagram I could find is from ISC. It shows the same model number of the drop saw and it has a part number for it. I've placed an image below of the broken part and it is the closest thing I could find that matches your safety guard. If I find something with more detail, I'll post it here straight away.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL, I have no idea how you found that site, but thank you. It got me started on the road to buying a replacement guard, well 2 actually... just in case! It wasn't all smooth sailing as I wasn't able to order the parts for delivery to Australia and the website wouldn't let me use an Australian billing address for shipping the item to family in the UK. In the end I had a kindly family member in London take pity on me and place the order himself, UK address, UK payment etc and the order went through ok. We will sort out shipping back to Adelaide once he has the received the parts.

So, Ozito sales and support for us in Australia appears to be worse than useless. That they will not, or cannot, supply a spare part that is a safety-related item, for a product they still supply new, is outrageous (my opinion) and their reputation can only be harmed by such shortcomings.

Lesson learned I think, sometimes the cheapest tools turn out to be the most expensive!

For anyone else seeking parts, have a look at the site recommended, as per the attached pictures.Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 23.05.51.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 23.06.05.png

John.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @VulcanJohn 

I'm glad my reference helped you find the part you were after. What D.I.Y. project are you currently working on? Please make sure to post a photo update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you're building.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric  

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning John! @VulcanJohn 

What a fascinating journey you've had or in fact, still having - thanks for putting it in type here. 😁

"I telephoned their help team, who helpfully directed me to Bunning's Special Orders process."

Actually, I don't see that as being helpful, John. I would have thought Ozito could have - with a few taps of the keyboard - tell you "I'm sorry sir, that part is no longer available in Australia". Why get Bunnings to do the dirty work?

But in a similar vein I rang Bosch recently - no help whatsoever over the phone. In the end, I found a schematic online and ordered the part I required from there.

And why does the European company, Einhell, stock Ozitio parts? Or are some Ozito tools Einhell tools - rebranded?

Can you still buy Einhell tools in Australia? You could in the '90s.

20230216_090202.jpg

Fascinating. 👍

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

On the parts purpose - is also interesting.

A competitors drop saw seen around the same area, seems to be more interested to assisting in recovering sawdust for the collection bag. It is fully covered when the shield is closed.

20230216_085907.jpg

Your machine's big brother - 12" blade - it's more about safety as the shield stops at the point shown - and it's all metal.

20230216_091410.jpg

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Hi there @Noyade  @EricL ,

The Einhell website showed this back-guard part and then listed a number of saws it was suitable for, different manufacturers names and different model numbers etc, but evidently using the same part. Maybe they make that part for the producers? I hadn't heard of Einhell prior to this adventure so sadly can't offer any insights into their history or current activities. Interesting comment about dust collection @Noyade since this saw has to be one of the dirtiest tools in my set and one for which I always wear a face mask. Despite having the little cloth bag attached behind the blade I am convinced 95% of the dust and waste goes into the air around the saw, it really is quite useless.

As to what I am doing at present? Well, it all started when I was offered some timber from a store that was being gutted. The 2.4m lengths of 90x35 pine were part of the office structure and unbelievably were destined for a rubbish skip. Apparently it is cheaper to just buy new timber than spend a bit of time cleaning up pre-used stuff. Anyway, I grabbed as much as I could, (about 15 lengths in total), along with some lighter gauge trim pieces, and then had to decide how to use it all. Yeah, I know, normally the plan comes before the getting the stock, but it was free so I worked back-to-front on this one!

Our garage is a bit of a mess; it's dark as the walls are just plain brick and "stuff" was starting to gather in corners and along walls making it hard to park the cars, and even harder to get to any of the "stuff" when you wanted to. I decided to use the wood for stud-work so I could insulate and clad the walls to start with. Eventually I will fit some wall-mounted cupboards and a workbench to tidy the whole place. The 90x35 lengths were cut using the mitre saw and fixed to the walls using Ramset Anchor Screws which screwed into holes I drilled into the brickwork, no spaghetti or plugs needed, they are brilliant! (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-8-x-75mm-galvanised-ankascrew-masonry-anchor-10-pack_p2260333). I made sure to leave 60mm spaces between the verticals in order to easily use Foilboard insulation panels, which come in 1200mm widths. The whole ensemble was to be sheathed in 7mm plywood which could be easily painted to brighten the area. It would also be a better surface from which to hang peg-boards, cupboards, shelves etc. Heavier bits can be fixed through the plywood into the supporting stud work to prevent any gravity-induced failures.

The project is taking much longer than expected as I damaged my shoulder before Christmas and couldn't operate above head height during the rehab process. Things are on the move now and the stud work, insulation, cladding and primer/undercoat painting are done. I couldn't believe the price of the paint. If you think petrol is expensive at $1.99 a litre try $70-odd for 4 litres of undercoat, that's just extortionate; so the top coat will have to wait till next pay day at least. Here are some pictures of the early part of the process and I will grab some of the current state when I get a chance.

Thanks for showing an interest in my little plan, it's not much in the scheme of what others are up to, but it gets me out of the house and involves physical labour and a bit of brain power as well, which has to be good.:-)

Workshop-1 copy.jpgWorkshop-2 copy.jpgWorkshop-3 copy.jpgWorkshop-4 copy.jpgWorkshop-5 copy.jpg 

Hi @VulcanJohn,

I understand that you've successfully ordered your part from another supplier, but I still wanted to investigate this further. I've made contact with Ozito, and the back protection part# 430082002150 is available to order from them. This might have been a case of it being out of stock at the time of your enquiry, and you've incorrectly received information that the part is unavailable. I apologise for this inconvenience and will bring this up with our team to ensure we improve the process.

Mitchell

Thank you for contacting Ozito @MitchellMc and for the update on this particular part. I definitely got the feeling that they did not want to deal with the end-user of the product, hence the referral back to Bunning's Special Order team. Without help from your colleague @EricL  I would not have known the part number as Ozito do not provide parts diagrams, either with the machine or as a support option. Never mind, we have all gained a little knowledge so its not all bad!

Hi John. @VulcanJohn 

Yes, I find the dust collection bags on most saws useless as are those "laser guides."

Nice project you have going there - I like how you marked the 'stud' positions with tape on the cornice - something I would forget to do.

"I hadn't heard of Einhell prior to this adventure so sadly can't offer any insights into their history or current activities."

I don't know much about them myself, other than they were in hardware stores in the mid to late '90s.

My very first welder was an Einhell product. I look back on the purchase with fond affection - it changed my world with regard to DIY capabilities.

20230218_094936.jpg

ItalyItaly

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects