Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I'm looking for a 50 mm polystyrene foam sandwich panel

Xerojet
Finding My Feet

I'm looking for a 50 mm polystyrene foam sandwich panel

Hi everybody

/m looking for 50 mm polystyrene foam sandwich panel  2.00 M x 1.00 M  plus ok. I need about 4 or 5 sheets.

The skin needs to be smooth, paintable or decorative on one side or both.

Plastic like thin laminex on one side or both would be great. Price is a concern.

Light weight is important as well as good thermal insulating properties.

It should be easy to cut and shape

Also an edging system that allows windows or doorway surrounds to be easily incorporated using flexible plastic or rubber material.

Fire retardant would be a bonus.

I had thought of buying the core foam and adding the skin using thin sheets of laminex or other hard sheet but that would be lot of work and expense, messy spray adhesive. If I could find a suitable ready made sandwich I'd be very happy.

Thanks for your ideas and or suggestions

John

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I'm looking for a 50 mm polystyrene foam sandwich panel

Hello @Xerojet

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about foam polystyrene sandwich panels.

The closest product that I can recommend would be Panelspan 2400 x 1200 x 50mm White Insulated Sandwich Panel. The other product that comes to mind is Foilboard 25 x 2400 x 1200mm Cathedral 25 Insulation. Unfortunately, it is only 25mm thick and you would need two panels to reach the 50mm thickness you're after. Between the two only the Panelspan has a covering on it. You'll have to put a covering in front of the Foilboard if you'll be using it for your walls.

Are you insulating a room or shed? Would it be possible for you to post more information about your project? Our members will then be able to assess your situation. We can then make recommendations on what product to use. 

Let me call on our experienced members @tom_builds, @ProjectPete, and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

Thanks for your reply.

These were the two products that I was thinking of using.

My preference would be the 25 mm Panelspan but here is very little info on the outer surfaces.

It's not a complicated product.

I don't know why they can't just give us all the info upfront so we know if it's the right product for the project.

The photos don't show much either, and there is no info on complimentary products that can be used with Panelspan

I just wanted to make a small walk-in fridge for my shed with a door and maybe a double glazed window.

A short video wouldn't go astray on how to cut this stuff and what machine to use?

Hopefully, somebody can give me some more info.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Xerojet

That is a very interesting project. I understand that there's not much to go on and they don't show how the panel is cut. But now that you've told me what your project is, I suggest using Bastion 1200 x 600 x 50mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board instead. due to its multi-purpose use, it has a greater tolerance for exposure to heavy moisture. I recommend combining it with Ametalin 1350mm x 10m SilverWrap LD Reflective Wall Insulation. It's tear-resistant and is an excellent barrier against water vapour.

In regards to the Foilboard 25 x 2400 x 1200mm Cathedral 25 Insulation. Please note that it is recommended that a professional tradesperson install it for you. I suggest not installing it yourself. 

Let me make some inquiries for you about the Panelspan. As soon as I have more information I'll get back to you. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think what you are looking for is a coolroom panel, they are typicly 2400 x 1200 x 50 with colourbond flat sheet faces and cost around $165 each.

You can get aluminium extrusions for corners and doors, that also may be used as a window.

Then there is this style in the video, I may of cringed at how they cut the doorway out with what looks like a saw designed for wood.

Thanks a lot @Brad - that video was a start.

As you said the cutting seemed a bit primitive but got the job done,

I would have liked to see at least a fine bladed jigsaw or a suitable nibbler to cut the steel, then followed with a knife to cut the polystyrene

Do you have any experience with nibblers on sheet metal ? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Xerojet and @Brad

The face skins are already cut, and they don't mention how they cut them. They could have used a hand saw, and perhaps they are just showing how they cut through them on an area they've already cut. I initially thought they'd use a timber cutting blade with carbide teeth in a circular saw to cut the skins as the cuts look pretty clean. However, in later shots, the cuts look quite rough, and the skin is distorted, indicating that they did use a push/pull saw. Intriguing method and I can't imagine the handsaw teeth lasting very long before becoming dull.

I'd recommend a circular saw with the blade depth set only fractionally deeper than the skin. Use a Diablo 7.25"/184mm 48T Steel Demon Ferrous Metals Circular Saw Blade on steel skins and a Koyo 180mm 60T 20/16mm Bore Circular Saw Blade For Aluminium Cutting on aluminium skins. They'll give you a much finer cut than a nibbler and will be considerably faster.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I do have a metal cutting circular saw that would cut through at 90 deg but at 45 deg it cuts 42mm.

There are dedicated freezer pannel saw blades that have two or three verry large teeth that also fold the edge over.

I have seen a video of a fine tooth chainsaw that is used like a circular saw without the OHS features like a blade gaurd.

Nibbler would havethe problem of the die being in the foam while you are trying to cut.

The 30mm depth of cut on a typical metal cutting jigsaw blade would give problems with the foam as you can't get a through cut.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects