Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is exterior paint safe to use on indoor furniture?

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Is exterior paint safe to use on indoor furniture?

Hey there,

I'm refurbishing some of my indoor furniture.  I've used diferent tipes of paint and last time I got recomended to try using cabots deck and exterior paint on the indoor furniture. I've tried it and its very nice, I actually like everything about it but now I'm worry about if its safe to use on indoor furniture as in if will have some harmful chemicals that the paint would relise over time. Thanks 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: furniture paint

Hi @nerea,

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help with your question when he's back on the site tomorrow.

We'd love to see your refurbished furniture. Please feel free to share your progress and ask any questions along the way.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nerea
Cultivating a Following

Awesome thanks.

Looking forwars to it.

This draws are the ones I used that paint I'm asking about. Sand them all back to bare wood with ozito orbital sander and I applier a clear coat on draws, I think its monocel brand.

PicsArt_06-04-03.32.14.jpg

 And this ones I used enamel paint which I like too but wasn't as easier as the wood exterior paint I mention in the post.

They are some of my many progects. I will share more with you guys. I'm so.proud of this piece. I expend so many hours sanding as the previous paint was like a glue.

PSX_20210502_181317.jpg

nerea
Cultivating a Following

This is one of my very first progects. 

I too used enamel paint(btw, all paints I use are water based)

PicsArt_07-22-06.37.35.jpg

 this one I actually used wall paint (really wanted to paint them but was very broke so couldn't afford a proper one)

PicsArt_01-26-05.51.57.jpg

And this is our front door which we took the glass off, put a door on it and paint the previous door. It was our first carpentry progect we even broke out Robi circular saw doing it(and we could not find the receipt 🤦🏻‍♀️

We sanded(mostly) and painted the old greeny  security door.

PicsArt_01-03-04.19.27.jpg

oheyitsbeano
Having an Impact

Re: Is exterior paint safe to use on indoor furniture?

It'd be perfectly fine, I think. If anything it'd probably have a longer lifespan than interior paint due to its hardiness. 

The key difference is in the drying process. The exterior paint will indeed off-gas more during drying, so I'd paint it outside and let it cure under the shade to give it time for those VOCs to bleed off. 

Usually exterior paint is designed to dry in the sun or in open air so it's best to reflect those conditions. Its best to paint in a well ventilated area regardless, or to wear a P2 respirator to protect your lungs from those harmful VOCs, especially if you're like me and spray paint Is your preferred application method.

However, @MitchellMc would be better at giving a more concrete answer. 

Hi @nerea,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @oheyitsbeano. As they've mentioned, there isn't anything inherently wrong with using that paint inside your house. However, since it is a paint designed for exterior use, some better alternatives are likely available. I've spoken to Cabot's technical advice team, and they are not concerned with the paint releasing any harmful chemicals. The caveat to this is that you wouldn't want to use it on any surfaces where food is being prepared.

Please let us know if you have more questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Awesome thanks for all the help. Yeah I'm only doing room furniture nothing in the kitchen. Which other paint would you recomend? I have to say I really like this deck paint 😅. Dryes awesome, sits awesome, leaves an awesome smooth finish, cleans awesome and don't need 183662 coats like the enamel one 😁 but I'm open to other ideas. As well which top coat would you recomend? I'm just waxing atm but would like to try diferent.

Thanks again

desmo
Finding My Feet

Hiya, I have used outdoor stain on my indoor furniture and it’s been fine. I just left it the sun for a few days to air it out 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nerea,

I'd be happy to provide some alternative suggestions. Could you let us know what you didn't like about the water-based enamel paints? Have you tried oil-based enamels? There are some very popular chalk effect paints available that can achieve some awe-inspiring results on furniture. Paint selection really depends on what type of look you are going for and what the project is. If you are currently planning on another rejuvenation, then please feel free to post it here.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @desmo. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

I'm pleased to hear you've had success with your paint choices, and I trust our members appreciate your feedback.

Would you like to share some of your projects with us? We look forward to hearing all about your plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know whenever you need assistance. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our wonderful members contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects