Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Making an anvil base

MartiPedia
Making a Splash

Making an anvil base

PXL_20220406_123622024.jpegA couple of weeks ago, I picked up a little anvil for a very reasonable price off Facebook Marketplace. Now while I had no immediate need for an anvil in the garage, if you love tools, you probably love anvils too :smile:

Naturally an anvil needs to sit on a sturdy base and I didn't just want to settle for the old tree stump solution. I wanted something epic, preferably medieval looking with a mix of charred wood and bare steel.

So I started off with a 100x100x2400 timber post that I cut in 4 and glued together to create the 200x200x600 blank to work from. I used a power planer to get the sides relatively flush without completely ruining it's rugged looks, and also threw a bevel on the edges while I was at it. I traced the anvil's footprint and used my router to drop it by about 10mm so that the anvil sat nice and snug and couldn't slide around. I also used the router to create 2x 25x3mm channels around the base, 150mm from the top and bottom ends.

IMG-20220331-WA0007.jpegreceived_1630146594036466.jpeg

Once I was happy with the shape and size, I used a blowtorch to char the exterior and really bring out the wood grain, followed by a quick Scotchbrite scuffing to blend it nicely. I sealed the charred base with two layers of boiled Linseed oil.

IMG-20220406-WA0002.jpegIMG-20220406-WA0006.jpeg

Finally, I created the 2x metal straps that fit snugly in the channels I had milled, welded the ends and drove 16x 45mm coach screws through it to bring it all together. Overall, I'm super happy with the outcome. The last step will be to add the tool holder to the top and secure the anvil with some brackets that I'm yet to make :smile:

PXL_20220406_123622024.jpg

PS: Below you will see the welds I did where the ends of the flatbar met. I welded this in place because the strap sits in a channel and could not be fitted over otherwise. I did these with a little Ozito gasless MIG I bought last week: The new one, where the feed and voltage are both adjustable rather than just the feed rate. It works like a charm :cheeky:

IMG-20220407-WA0007.jpeg

Happy building!

MartiPedia
Making a Splash

Re: Making an anvil base

PXL_20220424_114201143.jpg

I picked up a slightly larger anvil today... The small one will now be sold to fund the next anvil base which I predict to be a ripper!

What a fantastic project, @MartiPedia! I love the result! The amount of work you've put into it being functional and aesthetically pleasing is astounding.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how you tackle the big stand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks mate, I appreciate the feedback :smile: A king demands a throne after all :cheeky:

My dad is an NZ-based artist who frequently uses industrial means to make his sculptures from bare, hand-formed materials which is where I draw inspiration from when I tackle these things. Check out @timtheartguy on Insta. He's a legend.

Been a bit of a hectic week consisting of prepping the new anvil and building it a base but were getting there... I decided to make it a bit darker this time around to better suit its 19th century tenant...

PXL_20220428_043616846.jpg

PXL_20220426_122746034.jpg

Stay tuned for the final product coming soon!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MartiPedia

That looks absolutely amazing and now that you've doubled the thickness of the base, it looks ready for some heavy-duty use. I'm sure our members are keen to see the finished product once you mount the anvil in place.

Eric

Well, wait no more! Here she is!

PXL_20220429_081656112.jpg

PXL_20220429_081651079.jpg

The sheer weight of the new one negated the need for noteworthy engineering in terms of attaching it to the base, with the blocks that I bolted down on top merely following the contour of the foot to secure it's orientation on the base.

What a brute, @MartiPedia! Are you using the anvil for blacksmithing or just for the ability to beat on things at a whim?

Mitchell 

I'm certainly interested in blacksmithing as a hobby and can definitely find use for a forge in my workshop, but for the moment it's simply a hard surface to force things into submission upon during my everyday DIY and crafting endeavours :smile: 

I'll post "how to make a hobby forge" in a bit 😜

They both look fantastic.

But...

To my eyes the first (smaller) anvil/support looks better - possibly the proportions just look right.

Yeah the size of the new anvil's base is slightly too small for its footprint but the challenge is that because its so massive, achieving the same look as the small one would have required 16x 100x100x450 posts to put the saddle at the correct height, which would have exponentially increased both the weight and cost of the resulting base and given that it's purely a hobby commission for myself and not something I plan on selling anytime soon, I had to operate within parameters that made sense from that perspective.

But totally agree, a cube (450x450x450) would have been perfect! Next time 😉 For now, I need to get a forge up and running!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects